Breadline Britain.

I'm watching 'Breadline Britain' on ITV (7.30pm Thursday)

Reckon more people today live in poverty than 30 years ago. It should be an eye opener for those who think all the unemployed etc are 'scroungers who should just get a job'

Will they bother to watch it? Probably not...

Also interesting considering whether Britain is sliding into third world territory.

Be interested to know what people think.

Reckon more people today live in poverty than 30 years ago.

Also interesting considering whether Britain is sliding into third world territory.

Define poverty..I'm not able watch the programme at the mo'..What definition are they using..?

As for sliding to 3rd world..do you really think so?

Nonsense. The people on now have branded clothing on and a nicely decorated house. Bit too much black and silver for my taste though.

They're in "poverty" because they only have £66 left after all bills, food and expenses (they both work part time). The narration says that the money is "all" they have for holidays, presents, outings, birthdays and presents.

He claims he doesn't have money to watch the football match, but he has money for the team's shirt.

Define poverty..I'm not able watch the programme at the mo'..What definition are they using..?

As for sliding to 3rd world..do you really think so?

eat.drink, breath. you know the stuff you actually need to live. then there is the extras, roof over your head, hot food, hot water, paying your bills,

I certainly think my grandchildren and their children will be living in a totally different world than the one I have lived in. With the collapse of the industrial age, a world without cheap energy and little oil, the changes will be dramatic.

I think local agriculture will return rather than the large farming companies, people will come to rely on cottage type industry again, simply because the movement of goods and services will be too expensive, or at worst, not even possible. I also think that when the changes come, it will happen very quickly.

Before then, I believe there will be a lot of civil unrest as the people find it harder to survive and will be looking for someone to blame.

eat.drink, breath. you know the stuff you actually need to live. then there is the extras, roof over your head, hot food, hot water, paying your bills,

None of that was poverty according to that "expert". Poverty was not being able to afford extras and luxuries according to him.

the definition of poverty in the UK is totally wrong. Its a percentage of the mean salary, which means there will ALWAYS be people considered to be "in poverty", which to be honest is a slap in the face to those in the world who really are living in poverty.

the definition of poverty in the UK is totally wrong. Its a percentage of the mean salary, which means there will ALWAYS be people considered to be "in poverty", which to be honest is a slap in the face to those in the world who really are living in poverty.

I really don't think the starving residents of Dehli or Dakar will begrudge the poor of Dudley and Derby.What a shame you cannot show the same sympathy!

I'm watching 'Breadline Britain' on ITV (7.30pm Thursday)

Reckon more people today live in poverty than 30 years ago. It should be an eye opener for those who think all the unemployed etc are 'scroungers who should just get a job'

Will they bother to watch it? Probably not...

Be interested to know what people think.

It was pointed out on another thread that poverty and overcrowding are the main causes of TB, TB is on the rise in the UK so there must be poverty and overcrowding.

Of course in a society like ours there shouldn't be people judged by the standards of those in countries like Malawi or Somalia, if that's what you're saying then NOBODY will ever be poor.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 21:52 ----------

It was pointed out on another thread that poverty and overcrowding are the main causes of TB, TB is on the rise in the UK so there must be poverty and overcrowding.

I think on the other thread some posters were claiming that it was the immigrant community that were the cheif cause in the rise of TB in UK.

Some are quite happy to admit there is a problem with TB in the UK if it is caused by immigrants, but not if it is caused by poverty and overcrowding.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 21:55 ----------

I really don't think the starving residents of Dehli or Dakar will begrudge the poor of Dudley and Derby.What a shame you cannot show the same sympathy!

I wonder if the people who complain that "charity should begin at home" when we give to charities for overseas people, are the same people who complain that our own home grown poor people don't need charity and are in fact "scroungers and layabouts".

Archived