Breadline Britain.

You've touched on an interesting point. In labours drive (ably assisted by the media) to get every man and his dog a degree no thought at all was given to those who didn't want to go or weren't bright enough. Further education in this country has been left to rot for years hence the glut of polish plumbers etc. couple that with a load of graduates in this country with a degree and no idea what to do with it it's hard to find evidence that either labour or the conservatives have any idea what to do with the unemployed and the economy as a whole.

They can go to the old Communist block to become managers in the British industries that have moved there. They can then sell goods to those poor folks left here claiming benefits.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 15:20 ----------

Are you arguing that we can't create jobs in those sectors/industries? I think we can. If we invest in them and give them the infrastructure they need.

As you point out some businesses are moving overseas. What do you think we can do to make them stay? Do you think they should stay? Why do you think they are leaving? And aren't these the types of businesses that you seem to be pinning your hopes on for a low-wage manufacturing workforce? Or are you saying we should exchange our high tech for low tech and mass manufacture here in order to compete with the Chinese etc...? And if you want that low-wage workforce how is the government helping to build it? What should they be doing to build it?

I'm confused about what your proposal is.

I didn't know that I had to have a proposal to sort out jobs for the UK. We have done a pretty good job in making the UK an unattractive place for business.

30 years ago unions tore the heart out of established industries and companies like British Leyland limped on propped up by subsidies between strikes. The motor industry we have is currently thriving but the writing is on the wall now that the Eastern Block has joined the EU. There is hardly a manufacturing job that cannot be done cheaper and closer to our export markets by transferring production to Rumania or Poland.

Similarly with financial services. We are doing a great job to make the UK an unwelcoming place for them too.

A business like Nissan or BMW can do its R&D elsewhere. Not in the UK. But it is also just a matter of time before those companies follow the low wage option and move to Eastern Europe.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 15:21 ----------

This is what I am arguing. We should focus on the niche and high value things that we are very good at, rather than trying to dumb the economy down in order to compete in cheap manufacturing.

Just how many jobs do you seriously think you are talking about here?

Its the bankster that are throttling this country, and the rest of the global economy. how can we as a world have a debt to another of the equivalent of three times of what the world is ACTUALLY WORTH?. its pure madness is there another two planets we can start to colonize? then maybe we can balance the books

Or do we concentrate on our core strengths in industries where people can enjoy high wages in industries and sectors where we have comparative advantage. For example R&D, scientific industries, engineering, services etc...

No, we concentrate on finding everyone’s strengths and getting them into jobs that meet their abilities, instead of convincing our youngsters that they can all become top engineers, pop stars and footballer. They don’t all need degrees and many should be content with waiting tables, working in the fields, stacking shelves in supermarkets. We need our less educated unemployed to do the menial work instead of allowing them to sit on benefits whilst immigrants do the menial work.

We have moved on from being a mass production country let the Chinese make things for us, we are leagues in front of the rest of the world when it comes to brains and scientific industries, let the Polish do the hard work digging spuds up in the fields we can be doing the better money making jobs and management,the problem is if you have not kept up with things and you have not studied you will get left behind.

Nail right on head.

Its the bankster that are throttling this country, and the rest of the global economy. how can we as a world have a debt to another of the equivalent of three times of what the world is ACTUALLY WORTH?. its pure madness is there another two planets we can start to colonize? then maybe we can balance the books

It is very attractive to live beyond your means if you don't have to pay your debts. Unfortunately too many folk have done this and when a country like Greece defaults its debts have to be picked up by others.

The banks got into trouble because they made loans to people and governments that weren't repaid.

I'm not trying to sound clever or anything but I have never been unemployed and never been on the dole,I have always studied and moved on to something different when one job has had its day,I started life as a mechanic and I have always tried to keep up with things as they have gone along,I have a few fall back trades I have taken up as well including HGV driving and also studied electronics TV repairs and aerial and satellite fitting,I think if you snooze you loose.

I'm not trying to sound clever or anything but I have never been unemployed and never been on the dole,I have always studied and moved on to something different when one job has had its day,I started life as a mechanic and I have always tried to keep up with things as they have gone along,I have a few fall back trades I have taken up as well including HGV driving and also studied electronics TV repairs and aerial and satellite fitting,I think if you snooze you loose.

Those are all trades that cannot move abroad. You were wise to develop skills in such areas. Unlike folks in large scale industries such jobs cannot be shifted to another plant in a low wage country.

Those are all trades that cannot move abroad. You were wise to develop skills in such areas. Unlike folks in large scale industries such jobs cannot be shifted to another plant in a low wage country.

That’s why we encourage low waged immigrants to come here to do these jobs.

I would not want to move abroad been there done that.I think every man should have a basic trade or skill.

Archived