Breadline Britain.

It was pointed out on another thread that poverty and overcrowding are the main causes of TB, TB is on the rise in the UK so there must be poverty and overcrowding.

That's the same "logic" that states "wood floats, therefore everything that floats is made of wood".

I believe this kind of logical fallacy falls under the category of Petitio Principii. Or perhaps Non Causa Pro Causa?

HINT: There are other causes of TB.

The government has to foster an environment for businesses to operate in. That includes investing in infrastructure for example. Some of the money will come from taxes. Some from domestic investors. Some from overseas investors.

Would all potential UK businesses be viable in Romania? Some manufacturing perhaps. You seem fixated with manufacturing though. There are many other business sectors that Romania can't compete with us in. We need to focus on those.

Once again nothing but meaningless jargon. When the government has a debt of twice it's annual tax intake and spends 30% more each year than that tax intake this funding from taxes is wearing a bit thin.

Greece and Cyprus are finding out that you can't keep on spending.

Even with our repayments at a mere 2% interest we spend 10% of tax revenue on paying the interest on our debt. As we borrow more our credit rating falls until we end up paying the 7% that Italy does. At that rate we would be spending 35% of tax revenue on funding the spiraling debt. By then there is no way back.

Then of course there is this idea of attracting new industries. They aren't flooding in because it is too expensive here already. Sticking a few extra taxes on them isn't going to make the UK more attractive.

Yes service industies can't easily relocate, but not everyone can work at McDonalds, and even when those jobs crop up the Brits don't want them and Eastern Europeans are shipped in to do them

In the meantime our manufacturing industries are moving out. Our insurance companies and investment brokers are moving out. The only thing coming here are container ships bringing imported goods. We have to pay for them somehow. I don't know how. But one day the Chinese are going to want something in return for the mass of our currency they hold. I do believe the Greeks have even considered selling Crete.

Once again nothing but meaningless jargon. When the government has a debt of twice it's annual tax intake and spends 30% more each year than that tax intake this funding from taxes is wearing a bit thin.

Greece and Cyprus are finding out that you can't keep on spending.

Even with our repayments at a mere 2% interest we spend 10% of tax revenue on paying the interest on our debt. As we borrow more our credit rating falls until we end up paying the 7% that Italy does. At that rate we would be spending 35% of tax revenue on funding the spiraling debt. By then there is no way back.

Then of course there is this idea of attracting new industries. They aren't flooding in because it is too expensive here already. Sticking a few extra taxes on them isn't going to make the UK more attractive.

Yes service industies can't easily relocate, but not everyone can work at McDonalds, and even when those jobs crop up the Brits don't want them and Eastern Europeans are shipped in to do them

In the meantime our manufacturing industries are moving out. Our insurance companies and investment brokers are moving out. The only thing coming here are container ships bringing imported goods. We have to pay for them somehow. I don't know how. But one day the Chinese are going to want something in return for the mass of our currency they hold. I do believe the Greeks have even considered selling Crete.

You seem very quick to talk down other people's' ideas. How would you fix the problems you are describing? What should the government do?

You seem very quick to talk down other people's' ideas. How would you fix the problems you are describing? What should the government do?

I won't talk down your ideas if you ever come up with a sensible one.

The government should have tackled it 10 years ago before spending got out of hand.

I'm not about to try to fix the problems. Why would I invest in Britain and pay my rewards in taxes? I gave up on UK manufacturing years ago and run an import business bringing goods from China. I'm buying gold and not building up large deposits in European bank accounts. Shares in emerging markets are also good.

I won't talk down your ideas if you ever come up with a sensible one.

The government should have tackled it 10 years ago before spending got out of hand.

I'm not about to try to fix the problems. Why would I invest in Britain and pay my rewards in taxes? I gave up on UK manufacturing years ago and run an import business bringing goods from China. I'm buying gold and not building up large deposits in European bank accounts. Shares in emerging markets are also good.

With all due respect I'm not bothered about how you are personally dealing with the crisis.

It seems to me that you are saying Britain is broken beyond repair and nothing can fix things.

I have a different view and that is we need to start investing in our infrastructure again to make Britain a more attractive place for business. Even the idea that we could switch to competing in cheap manufacture is only possible with serious investment.

With all due respect I'm not bothered about how you are personally dealing with the crisis.

It seems to me that you are saying Britain is broken beyond repair and nothing can fix things.

I have a different view and that is we need to start investing in our infrastructure again to make Britain a more attractive place for business. Even the idea that we could switch to competing in cheap manufacture is only possible with serious investment.

What infrastructure do you think businesses need that we don’t have?

Will this infrastructure compensate for the extra tax and wages they would have to pay?

What infrastructure do you think businesses need that we don’t have?

Will this infrastructure compensate for the extra tax and wages they would have to pay?

Roads with no cavities,rivers with flood defences and extra rail capacity?The second question cannot be answered without specific details,and was probably rhetorical:)

So if you were a South East Asian motor manufacturer looking for a European foothold from where you could flood your cheap cars into the EU which of the following would you choose.

You make a car that sells for £10K and it requires 200 man hours labour to produce.. Your biggest markets are going to be Germany, France, Italy, UK, Poland, Austria, and the Low Countries.

Wage rate in UK is £20/hr. Wage rate in Rumania £5/hr. Shifting cars either way across Channel is £200. Not forgetting that if you pay around £300 per car you can manufacture in your home country at £5/hr and not bother with a European base at all.

Where would you invest and why? Would a hefty tax bill for improving UK infrastructure make you more likely to pick UK?

Archived