Breadline Britain.

Roads with no cavities,rivers with flood defences and extra rail capacity?The second question cannot be answered without specific details,and was probably rhetorical:)

From a business point of view I would be looking for uncongested roads to transport my goods and they are likely to be found if the least crowded countries.

Flooding wouldn’t much of a concern because I wouldn’t build my factory on a flood plain.

Wages would be an important issue, lower wages mean lower costs and more profit, and I wouldn’t need to set up in the UK to find a well educated workforce.

If I was supplying goods to the EU it would be better to be more central within the EU and not stuck on an island.

I would also want to set up in a country with low taxes, because profits would be my motivation for setting up a business.

From a business point of view I would be looking for uncongested roads to transport my goods and they are likely to be found if the least crowded countries.

Flooding wouldn’t much of a concern because I wouldn’t build my factory on a flood plain.

Wages would be an important issue, lower wages mean lower costs and more profit, and I wouldn’t need to set up in the UK to find a well educated workforce.

If I was supplying goods to the EU it would be better to be more central within the EU and not stuck on an island.

I would also want to set up in a country with low taxes, because profits would be my motivation for setting up a business.

Also very handy for those emerging markets of Easter Europe, Turkey, Baltic States and old bits of Soviet Union.

What infrastructure do you think businesses need that we don’t have?

Will this infrastructure compensate for the extra tax and wages they would have to pay?

Roads, ports, rail, air, comms, energy, R&D, housing, health, education.

Much of the physical infrastructure in this country is not properly invested in and is deteriorating. The infrastructure for human success is deteriorating too.

The government is reducing investment. At the same time it broadcasts to the world that Britain is full of scroungers. Does any other country vilify it's own people on the breadline in the same way?

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 13:10 ----------

So if you were a South East Asian motor manufacturer looking for a European foothold from where you could flood your cheap cars into the EU which of the following would you choose.

You make a car that sells for £10K and it requires 200 man hours labour to produce.. Your biggest markets are going to be Germany, France, Italy, UK, Poland, Austria, and the Low Countries.

Wage rate in UK is £20/hr. Wage rate in Rumania £5/hr. Shifting cars either way across Channel is £200. Not forgetting that if you pay around £300 per car you can manufacture in your home country at £5/hr and not bother with a European base at all.

Where would you invest and why? Would a hefty tax bill for improving UK infrastructure make you more likely to pick UK?

In such circumstances the government would play a critical role in bringing the industry here, s has happened in the past.

Other governments move heaven and earth to attract such investment. why not ours?

The government is reducing investment. At the same time it broadcasts to the world that Britain is full of scroungers. Does any other country vilify it's own people on the breadline in the same way?

The government hasn't the money to invest. The country has a debt of £1300,000,000,000 that it can't think about paying back because the annual overspend is around £150,000,000,000. We are in massive debt.

Do you imagine the world doesn't know the country is full of scroungers? They arrive on every flight from all corners of the globe to join their ranks.

what delivering xmas hampers you would want all that :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Roads, ports, rail, air, comms, energy, R&D, housing, health, education.

What are the concequences if we borrow the money to do all this and companies still prefere the cheaper labour and lower taxs that can be found in other EU countries.

Our education system must be one of the best in the world because thousands of immigrants come here to use it.

Much of the physical infrastructure in this country is not properly invested in and is deteriorating. The infrastructure for human success is deteriorating too.

That’s because governments waste the money they do get instead of spending it wisely, we don’t need to borrow money to do these things we just need to change our spending priorities.

I don't think other countries give so much free stuff away to people that don't contribute.

In such circumstances the government would play a critical role in bringing the industry here, s has happened in the past.

Other governments move heaven and earth to attract such investment. why not ours?

Which country as done all the things you suggest and why would companies leave those country to come here?

You idea looks like a continuation of the economic pyramid system we have now.

The government hasn't the money to invest. The country has a debt of £1300,000,000,000 that it can't think about paying back because the annual overspend is around £150,000,000,000. We are in massive debt.

Sadly, you actually could be right but not for the reasons I guess you think. Osborne has borrowed to pay for failure when he should have been borrowing to encourage growth. Maybe he's taken things too far in the wrong direction for us to recover.

Do you imagine the world doesn't know the country is full of scroungers? They arrive on every flight from all corners of the globe to join their ranks.

No, what I mean is the government is vilifying and denigrating big sections of its own population. Does any other government do this? Think about it.

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 15:46 ----------

What are the concequences if we borrow the money to do all this and companies still prefere the cheaper labour and lower taxs that can be found in other EU countries.

Our education system must be one of the best in the world because thousands of immigrants come here to use it.

If it's one of the best then why is Gove changing it so radically?

Even Gove recognises the need to provide ongoing investment for schools infrastructure. It's why he announced over 250 priority schools building projects in 2010. Sadly it now seems that more than 200 of them will be financed through new PFI contracts :(

That’s because governments waste the money they do get instead of spending it wisely, we don’t need to borrow money to do these things we just need to change our spending priorities.

I agree that non-productive borrowing is bad. That is what is so disappointing about Osborne's borrowing mayhem to pay for his abject policy failures.

I don't think other countries give so much free stuff away to people that don't contribute.

Who doesn't contribute? Are you talking about immigrants?

Which country as done all the things you suggest and why would companies leave those country to come here?

The UK. It's how major employers like Nissan have been brought in in the past. Government investment oils the wheels for such deals.

You idea looks like a continuation of the economic pyramid system we have now.

It's harsh reality. To recover we have to grow. If we don't invest or attract investment we won't grow. And if we don't grow we won't recover.

The austerity experiment is a failure that will hopefully never be repeated. It's an experiment that is driving more and more people beneath the breadline.

Sadly, you actually could be right but not for the reasons I guess you think. Osborne has borrowed to pay for failure when he should have been borrowing to encourage growth. Maybe he's taken things too far in the wrong direction for us to recover.

No, what I mean is the government is vilifying and denigrating big sections of its own population. Does any other government do this? Think about it.

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 15:46 ----------

If it's one of the best then why is Gove changing it so radically?

Even Gove recognises the need to provide ongoing investment for schools infrastructure. It's why he announced over 250 priority schools building projects in 2010. Sadly it now seems that more than 200 of them will be financed through new PFI contracts :(

I agree that non-productive borrowing is bad. That is what is so disappointing about Osborne's borrowing mayhem to pay for his abject policy failures.

Who doesn't contribute? Are you talking about immigrants?

It's harsh reality. To recover we have to grow. If we don't invest or attract investment we won't grow. And if we don't grow we won't recover.

The austerity experiment is a failure that will hopefully never be repeated. It's an experiment that is driving more and more people beneath the breadline.

Once more just masses and masses of empty words and slogans.

We can't borrow any more money without our repayment interest going up. We pay 11% of our tax revenue to just pay off the interest on what we owe now. This will be 12% next year and is increasing. As it increases our ability to finance the debt decreases and those loaning the money demand a higher return which increases that percentage more. This again sends up interest rates and pretty soon we end up like Greece.

Would you be happy paying 11% of your salary just to pay interest on your credit card bill? If you were would you be looking to borrow more?

Sadly building infrastructure doesn't bring in more taxation than it costs. So unless we can get on top of our debt burden this country is finished.

Gordon Brown had this golden rule that under no circumstances could be broken. Borrowing must on no account exceed 40% of GDP. Sadly when he left office it was around 70% and rising at 10% per year.

You guys can spout about spending our way out of debt. That's why folk end up down the toilet after borrowing from Wonga.com.

I watched the folk in Cyprus loose 20% of their bank account balances. If we don't get debt under control we will be there ourselves within 5 years. All we need is some idiot chancellor like Darling who thinks we can borrow our way out of debt.

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 16:11 ----------

The UK. It's how major employers like Nissan have been brought in in the past. Government investment oils the wheels for such deals.

The EU has moved a long way since the 1980s. When Margret Thatcher was PM Nissan were tempted here by single union deals and the fact that the UK was one of the lowest wage economies of the EU at that time, and we drove on the same side of the road as the Japanese.

In recent years the EU has expanded to take in a dozen countries where wages are a fraction of those in the UK. You can dream of manufacturers being attracted to the UK because we've resurfaced a few roads, but in the real world it ain't going to happen.

Once more just masses and masses of empty words and slogans.

We can't borrow any more money without our repayment interest going up. We pay 11% of our tax revenue to just pay off the interest on what we owe now. This will be 12% next year and is increasing. As it increases our ability to finance the debt decreases and those loaning the money demand a higher return which increases that percentage more. This again sends up interest rates and pretty soon we end up like Greece.

Would you be happy paying 11% of your salary just to pay interest on your credit card bill? If you were would you be looking to borrow more?

Sadly building infrastructure doesn't bring in more taxation than it costs. So unless we can get on top of our debt burden this country is finished.

Gordon Brown had this golden rule that under no circumstances could be broken. Borrowing must on no account exceed 40% of GDP. Sadly when he left office it was around 70% and rising at 10% per year.

You guys can spout about spending our way out of debt. That's why folk end up down the toilet after borrowing from Wonga.com.

I watched the folk in Cyprus loose 20% of their bank account balances. If we don't get debt under control we will be there ourselves within 5 years. All we need is some idiot chancellor like Darling who thinks we can borrow our way out of debt.

How do you suggest we get on top of our debt burden?

You haven't offered any solutions. So what would you do? Keep in mind that Osborne's deficit control measures have had the effect of accelerating borrowing further out of control. They haven't worked so what would you do different?

Instead of just talking down everything I post offer some ideas yourself. You must have some?

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 16:16 ----------

The EU has moved a long way since the 1980s. When Margret Thatcher was PM Nissan were tempted here by single union deals and the fact that the UK was one of the lowest wage economies of the EU at that time, and we drove on the same side of the road as the Japanese.

In recent years the EU has expanded to take in a dozen countries where wages are a fraction of those in the UK. You can dream of manufacturers being attracted to the UK because we've resurfaced a few roads, but in the real world it ain't going to happen.

It certainly won't happen if we let our infrastructure crumble even further. Which is what is happening.

So what do we do? You must have some ideas?

How do you suggest we get on top of our debt burden?

You haven't offered any solutions. So what would you do? Keep in mind that Osborne's deficit control measures have had the effect of accelerating borrowing further out of control. They haven't worked so what would you do different?

Instead of just talking down everything I post offer some ideas yourself. You must have some?

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 16:16 ----------

It certainly won't happen if we let our infrastructure crumble even further. Which is what is happening.

So what do we do? You must have some ideas?

Well Nissan Honda and Toyota all set up major car plants in the UK whilst Margret Thatcher was PM. Several other major players like Toshiba built TV factories and the like around the same time.

In 1997 Gordon & Tony took over and in the early years after the Millenium were spending money and running up debt whist "improving services". So you would imagine there would be a massive list of multinationals who all moved here in those years too if they are attracted here by such things. Unfortunately I can't think of any who did.

Yes I have ideas, but as they don't involve chucking more borrowed money into the same hole that got us into the mess we're in you wouldn't be interested.

I've got my gold and property abroad just in case someone takes over the rains with the idea of borrowing us out of debt.

Archived