Dragon Saves Jessops

According to this article, I think a slimmed down more internet focussed camera shop is what we all need.

I know people are less and less bothered about proper shops but if you are paying hundreds of pounds on expensive camera gear then you are sure going to want to hold it and play around with it, I think things like this must always be experienced in a shop, buying electronics on the internet is always a risky business...

High-street camera chain Jessops has opened its doors once more, giving the brand -- which entered administration at the start of this year -- a second chance at winning over UK shoppers.

The ailing firm has been revived by Dragon's Den investor Peter Jones, who told Bloomberg that the plan is to open roughly one shop every day through April.

Initially it was thought that Jones -- who has become sole owner of Jessops and also lays claim to online gadget shop Expansys -- would turn Jessops into an online business.

That's not the case however, and today Jessops has re-opened shops in London and Birmingham.

The company's retail efforts will be significantly slimmed-down, however. Whereas Jessops used to operate a raft of 187 shops across the country, the new regime will see only 30 stores opened, The Guardian reports.

As you might have sussed, that's a cost-saving measure aimed at making the once-failed chain profitable again. 300 staff who had lost their jobs are said to be getting re-employed, though that's a small proportion of the total 1,370 staffers who were dismissed earlier this year when the retailer went under.

In theory I can see Jessops doing well on the high street, as I know I'd want the chance to go hands-on with a camera before buying one. Jones will be hoping shoppers aren't tempted to try out products in-store and then simply buy them online. The TV Dragon says Jessops will offer identical prices across online and brick-and-mortar shops.

Will you pop into Jessops? Or will you buy your next camera online? Do you even want a digital camera, or are smart phone snappers enough for you?

e-mail received today from jessops said......

A further update on Jessops Photo

As a past customer of Jessops Photo, we wanted to thank you for your custom.

On the 3rd of March 2013 Cewe Color Ltd, a partner of Jessops Europe Limited acquired the Jessops Photo database and continue to trade the great online photo services you have become accustomed to.

Jessops Photo would like to be able to keep in touch to update you with service and promotional information.

Don't worry, you don't have to do anything but if you would prefer not to receive emails from Jessops Photo then please click here and your details will be removed from our mailing lists.

Once again, we'd like to thank you for your custom and support.

Kind regards,

Archived