Question about new Royal Mail charges for parcels

Does anybody work for the Royal Mail that might know a bit more about the new charges for sending a parcel please?

I can't find anything online about the weight guidelines. I always send 2nd class and it used to be £2.20 for a medium parcel up to 500g, £3.50 for up to 750g and £5.30 (I think) for up to 1k. I've heard 2nd class small parcels will now be £2.60 and 2nd class medium parcels will be £5.20 but I can't find anything out about the weight. Surely it can't the same weight guidelines? :confused: it seems like it's gonna be super expensive to post anything now :(

This PDF file has all the information about the new sizes and prices.

The weight categories start with 'up to 1kg' and 'up to 2kg' and go up from there.

Note the new dimensions for 'small parcel' (if the depth is greater than 8cm, the parcel is bumped up to the next category).

They are definalty going up, I send alot of games & dvd's and it cost's £1.10 at the moment to send them 2nd class (large letter)

And i read somewhere on the internet that the prices are going up but couldent find out how much they are going up to.

Anyway i asked in the post office and they dont know either... She just said that they ARE going up next month but she was unsure as to how much of a increase there will be.

I think that they were just moving the prices up slightly... Because it used to be about 90p to send somthing large letter and then it went to £1.10, so i think (and hope) that it will just go up by a few pence again.

Here's an example using a parcel size, weight and delivery method I send semi-regularly:

I can currently send a 'packet' of less than 750g second class 'signed for' for £3.15 (£2.20 plus 95p for 'signed for').

From April 2nd that price will be £6.30 (medium parcel, confirmed delivery, depth greater than 8cm).

Keep in mind too that the compensation for loss will decrease from £46 to £20 for standard delivery, which may necessitate use of confirmed delivery - with £50 compensation - instead of standard delivery.

From April 2nd that price will be £6.30 (medium parcel, confirmed delivery, depth greater than 8cm).

Keep in mind too that the compensation for loss will decrease from £46 to £20 for standard delivery, which may necessitate use of confirmed delivery - with £50 compensation - instead of standard delivery.

It's an outrageous increase, but again, nothing we can do about it. Just another examples of business getting screwed.

I'm going to start sending everything by courier instead.

Thanks Hecate for the pdf link. This is the first I'd heard of this. So my next day before 1pm Special Deliveries will now cost £11. Ouch! I do need the security of a signature though together with the £500 insurance. So far we have had no problems at all with this service.

There are alternatives. Consider signing-up to DX Services, if you send enough parcels to make it worthwhile.

See http://www.thedx.co.uk/?oo=0

It charges one annual fee for unlimited sending of letters/parcels.

If the recipient is not a DX member, there's an extra fee to pay (£3.75 per item, I think).

They are a bit unrelayable though... One one bundle i tried sending with them they didnt turn up twice and then when they did the bloke was about as freindly as Hitler.

Then when the parcle made it to the other side they just left it on the doorstep.

All in all i would rate them about 4/10 (and i will only give them a 4 because of how cheap they were)

Archived