Burncross origin

Well this is a guess but Burn is derived from an old word meaning "spring of water" and there is a water course that runs through that area but is now called Charltonbrook. I may be mistaken but I think there is another stream that runs at the back of Chapel road down near that back lane so it could mean where two water courses or streams or brooks meet hence the Cross. Hope this helps but if you look at the local history books in the library i am sure you will find out. It fascinating isnt it history??

Crossley means clearing by the Cross and is a common place name. Burncross is a derivation of Burnt Cross. According to Revd Eastwood this has nothing to do with burning but is itself probably derived from the same personal name in Barnes Hall & Barnes Green.

A nod to Mr David Day and his excellent "Historic Hallamshire".

I hope you can keep your son interested in Local History!

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but shouldnt it be David Hey? May be Hunters Hallamshire would be a good original source of information.

Wherever did David Day come from!!!!! Of course, David Hey is correct.

I have a copy of Hunters Hallamshire but not kept anywhere where I can go and have a quick look through.

...I have a copy of Hunters Hallamshire but not kept anywhere where I can go and have a quick look through.
I just looked in my 1859 "New edition with additions by the Rev. Alfred Gatty D.D." and Burncross doesn't feature in the index..:|

"Burn Cross

There is little doubt but that "Bernes," and the now considerable hamlet of Burncross, have as close a connexion with one another in name as in situation, for Matilda de Lovetot, the great heiress of Hallamshire, granted by deed, without date, to John the Chamberlain, all lands which were Josselin de Burnes', in Burne in Chapel, which lands included among others, Howsley Hall, the nearest large house to Barnes' Hall in that direction.

The addition of "Cross" suggests that there was formerly a cross or way-mark erected at the cross roads here, of which there are several other instances in the parish.

These crosses were in ancient times erected on various accounts to mark boundaries of districts."

Source History of the Parish of Ecclesfield 1862

Archived