Legend of Noah's Ark

It was a lovely story.

It ranks with the Zeus and Hermes story, when, coming to Earth, they were driven out of atown. At a cottage on the road, they received a welcome with food and accomodation from the old couple there. In the morning, there was a lake outside -- the gods had turned the town into a lake, and the people into fish. A lovely version at:

http://thanasis.com/store/baucis.htm

But I'm afraid these are only made-up stories; if we could get political permission to search the Mt. Ararat area today, we would find no trace of Noah's Ark.

Also, we are aware of many more species than were the tellers of the tale, and an ark to hold every species of rodents alone would need to be big.

However, I am committing myself to the "faith" of a scientist. If I had committed myself to "faith" in a miraculous "God" for whom nothing is impossible, "He" might have miniaturized every creature to bacterial size, thus making it easy to fit them in, and they might not have needed to eat or excrete for the year they spent in the Ark; but if you believe that, then there's no point learning how to make fire, or build cars -- "God" will be able to do it for you!

Whilst 'Noah's Ark' may be of that ilk, there is a lot within the bible & koran that is accepted as historically correct.

Bags a front row seat on the comeback tour for "Loaves and Fishes" and "Water Into Wine" :cool:

Whilst 'Noah's Ark' may be of that ilk, there is a lot within the bible & koran that is accepted as historically correct.

There is very little in the modern Bible that can be accepted as being historically correct. Even the scholars that study it would disagree with that statement.The New Testament was never written down as a history and is a lose collection of writings by various authors whose provenance in most cases cannot be proven.

The same goes for the Koran as it was not allowed to be written down during Mohammed's life and was basically spread by word of mouth.

It may be classed as history but that does not mean it is historically correct.

Archived