Churches band together to protect the poor

At last. Justin Welby and four other British churches have spoken out as one voice against changes in welfare and the vilification of the poor.

A spokesperson (sorry can't remember his name) has said that the media has been used to undermine the poor and brand them as 'lazy' when nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe now the poor will have found someone prepared to speak up for them.

It must be pretty serious for the established church to lead the call for reforms

Prepare for fireworks.

At last. Justin Welby and four other British churches have spoken out as one voice against changes in welfare and the vilification of the poor.

A spokesperson (sorry can't remember his name) has said that the media has been used to undermine the poor and brand them as 'lazy' when nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe now the poor will have found someone prepared to speak up for them.

It must be pretty serious for the established church to lead the call for reforms

Prepare for fireworks.

What ? The British media spreading lies and disinformation ??? Never !

We all do that though to a degree.

That said I find a tad hypocritical the church wading in considering the wealth and land they have at their disposal. They'd be better just trying to help at a local level rather than getting involved in politics.

Yes I always find it a tad hypocritical when the wealthy stand up for the poor.

We all do that though to a degree.

That said I find a tad hypocritical the church wading in considering the wealth and land they have at their disposal. They'd be better just trying to help at a local level rather than getting involved in politics.

Do you feel that churches could help the poor better if they didnt have the "wealth and land"?

Do you feel that churches could help the poor better if they didnt have the "wealth and land"?

No. They could use more of their wealth and land to help people. At local level many do, but like many organisations the top brass don't really know what's happening further down the ladder.

Have a look at this lot for starters http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/28/religion.anglicanism

Maybe if the gave it back to the poor who they took it from in the first place.never mind the hundreds of thousands that have been worked to death or burned in the name of god. but then again the rich have to have something to believe in and repent when they are lying in their death bed.

The church spokesman I heard on British State Broadcasting today said that in truth, the poor are actually hard working folk. This is true; they are poor because they have their wages taxed off them to keep those who don't work in comfort so they can breed massive, worthless, sponging families!

The church spokesman I heard on British State Broadcasting today said that in truth, the poor are actually hard working folk. This is true; they are poor because they have their wages taxed off them to keep those who don't work in comfort so they can breed massive, worthless, sponging families!

They are poor because they are paid a pittance by the rich companies and the millionaires who run the government would prefer to disproportionately tax them so as to save their rich friends money

Yes I always find it a tad hypocritical when the wealthy stand up for the poor.

You mean they should stand up for the rich?

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 21:02 ----------

The church does use these assets to finance their activities,one of which is to lobby on behalf of the poor.

Are you harping on about the Royals again, they can't help it they were born that way.:hihi:

Archived