Same Sex Marriage

People with children get many benefits, but supporting marriage is about about helping long term relationships succede, marriage has been shown to be the best method to bring up children.

That comes from studying large numbers of families, and not personal experience.

Gay marriage will have no affect on any of the assertions that you just made in that statement. As such it appears to be entirely irrelevant to the debate.

"I am not against same sex couples joining in a union based on love and having the same rights as a different sex couple"

Did you just say it for appearances sake?

You either think equal rights are equal rights, or you think equal rights means equal to a certain degree.

I said that and endorse it .

You are getting mixed up with rights, equality and qualifying for something.

Different sex and same sex couples should have the same rights but they can never be the same. A different sex couple can never be the same as a same sex couple, that is a fact.

Equal but different

Same sex couples cannot get married,

They will be able to marry soon.

they dont generally have children, because they dont have the combination of the right parts.

They can adopt, but ignoring that, so what. Gay marriage doesn't stop straight people marrying and bringing up children within the ideal stable marriage relationship.

I'm not sure you actually have a point.

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 17:30 ----------

How would you like marriage to change?

Would you like to see men with multiple wives, or visa versa, men marrying men or women marrying women?

I would like to see marriage remain to be in the best interests of the children, not the adults.

If we accept your assertion that gay couples can't have children, their marriage will perforce be nothing to do with children. It will not somehow reduce the effectiveness of marriage for parents though, or are you trying to claim that it will?

I said that and endorse it .

You are getting mixed up with rights, equality and qualifying for something.

Different sex and same sex couples should have the same rights but they can never be the same. A different sex couple can never be the same as a same sex couple, that is a fact.

Equal but different

Here we are again, you agree that they should have the same rights.

But.....not the same rights when it comes to getting married.

No. I am against redefining the traditional meaning of marriage

In an earlier post I referred to civil partnerships or giving the union of a same sex couple a different title to that of a different sex couple.

Different but equal.

Different is by definition not equal.

Maybe to you it is old fashioned but many people do not want to change just for fashions sake.

I do not agree that it is discriminatory simply because there is a difference between a man and a woman and a man and man or woman and woman.

Why is there such an obsession to redefine marriage and not simply invent a new name for a same sex union ?

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:39 ----------

As long as it doesn't lead to mixed boxing matches !

You want to reclassify the fight for equality as "fashion"...

Archived