Would you prefer to move into a new place on the 1st of the month?

Really the question is whether or not he IS inconvenienced. There are things that we've let go out of good will at our inconvenience and sometimes you expect something back.

doesnt really matter if he is or isnt, a contract was made and hes asking you to stick to it

and as you already said the question was about moving on the 1st not if he is inconvienienced, make your mind up so we know which one to comment on

doesnt really matter if he is or isnt, a contract was made and hes asking you to stick to it

and as you already said the question was about moving on the 1st not if he is inconvienienced, make your mind up so we know which one to comment on

What she said with bells on!

My landlord is quite within the law to ask us to pay rent up to the end of the month of our rolling contract, which is what he is asking. It is more convenient for us to move out on the 4th, and I thought that out of good will he would let us do that, and just pay a week extra. He won't, though, because he insists that people would rather move in on the 1st of the month and that leaves the best part of a month before he can get anyone else in.

So, I'd just like people's feedback on this, please.

He wont have you move out on the last day of the month, and have someone else move in on the 1st of the new month! If he says he does he is lying or very lucky.. Lets say he gets someone in the 1st of the following month he will still have a good 25 days to clean / market it if he allows you to stay a week into the very last month... You cant make him of course, but he would snap you have off if you paid a full month for just a weeks rent, not alot you can do though :(

What is the point of your comment? It's neither helpful, intelligent, and reveals nothing but your inability to read and understand basic concepts.

You asked for feedback and got it, it's not Facebooks fault if you didn't like it.

As a landlord myself I have to say people generally like to move on the first day of the month. It's unfortunate, but there you go that's the way of the world.

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 23:36 ----------

He wont have you move out on the last day of the month, and have someone else move in on the 1st of the new month! If he says he does he is lying or very lucky.. Lets say he gets someone in the 1st of the following month he will still have a good 25 days to clean / market it if he allows you to stay a week into the very last month... You cant make him of course, but he would snap you have off if you paid a full month for just a weeks rent, not alot you can do though :(

Seven days is more than enough normally, unless you've had some very grotty tenants in.

Thankyou .

He's trying it on.

Not necessarily. I've known outgoing and incoming tenants passing each other on moving day. It pains me to see so many people expecting the worst of Landlords. Most landlords do a great job.

The question asking whether people prefer to move on the 1st is about whether the landlord is inconvenienced or not.

If you had given the landlord notice to quit on the 4th appropriatly then there would have been nothing he could do about it. You didn't. Ergo he's quite within his rights to insist you stay up to the point he gets someone else, voids being expensive and all that. As said before, most people will want to move in at the beginning of a month, so the pool of tenants that are available is considerably smaller - but you may get lucky he may find someone.

Archived