Would you prefer to move into a new place on the 1st of the month?

You asked for feedback and got it, it's not Facebooks fault if you didn't like it.

As a landlord myself I have to say people generally like to move on the first day of the month. It's unfortunate, but there you go that's the way of the world.

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 23:36 ----------

Seven days is more than enough normally, unless you've had some very grotty tenants in.

I don't get it. People generally like to move in on the first yet you're talking about how long it might take to clean up after them before the next tenants move in. The logistics of the whole thing don't add up.

I'm sure I don't really have to explain that one.

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 23:51 ----------

I think you're being a little over sensitive.

Yes, I do that.

The question asking whether people prefer to move on the 1st is about whether the landlord is inconvenienced or not.

looks like 2 different things to me, why would the tennats preferences about moving days inconvienience a landlord, if you prefer to move on the 1st why sign a contract that expects you to move on the last of the month? and when we comment regarding this you say thats not the OP question and now it is!!

If you had given the landlord notice to quit on the 4th appropriatly then there would have been nothing he could do about it. You didn't. Ergo he's quite within his rights to insist you stay up to the point he gets someone else, voids being expensive and all that. As said before, most people will want to move in at the beginning of a month, so the pool of tenants that are available is considerably smaller - but you may get lucky he may find someone.

I have given him more than a months notice. If you're on a rolling contract it goes from month to month from the date the original tenancy ran out. Thought that was the case. Maybe as a landlord you could teach me differently.

I'm sure you do because I have no idea what you are on about now I'm afraid.

If someone moves out of your house on the first to move into another house then, if it takes a week to clean the place up, your new tenants can't move in until the second week. Everyone moving on the first of the month doesn't make sense. Our new place won't be ready until the second so that's when we start our move.

Archived