I thought banks HAD to offer you an account?

Just a quick one. I have just applied for a bank account with Nationwide. Of all the info I gave they have refused me. Now I know there is one negative item on my credit report that I am having trouble removing. Its a loan that vanished from HSBC many years ago and after 2 years worth of asking where it was, it turned up with a recovery agency who immediately registered it as defaulted. Its paid off now but is still sitting on my credit file as a defaulted item, much to my annoyance.

Anyway, back to my question. I thought banks had to offer their most basic accounts to anyone. I'm not interested in overdrafts any any other forms of credit but I have been refused their FlexAccount (which is their most basic account listed). Does anyone know if what I thought is in-fact correct?

I don't think they HAVE to offer you any type of account. They can surely turn away business they deem to be high risk or fraudulent at their discretion. Not saying yours is either. You should be able to get a basic account with one of the major banks. Are you just applying online or are you taking all your info in and speaking with someone? If this proves impossible, you will be able to get a paid for account where you pay maybe £9 per month. Use this to re-build your credit and then move to the bank of your choice after 6 months or so. However, I would have thought you should be able to get a basic free bank account with a little effort. Failing that, check your credit report isn't worse than you think or incorrect. Get your actual credit score.

Just a quick one. I have just applied for a bank account with Nationwide. Of all the info I gave they have refused me. Now I know there is one negative item on my credit report that I am having trouble removing. Its a loan that vanished from HSBC many years ago and after 2 years worth of asking where it was, it turned up with a recovery agency who immediately registered it as defaulted. Its paid off now but is still sitting on my credit file as a defaulted item, much to my annoyance.

Anyway, back to my question. I thought banks had to offer their most basic accounts to anyone. I'm not interested in overdrafts any any other forms of credit but I have been refused their FlexAccount (which is their most basic account listed). Does anyone know if what I thought is in-fact correct?

How strange !

All banks must offer a no frills account,but remain able to reject the unworthy.

I don't think they HAVE to offer you any type of account. They can surely turn away business they deem to be high risk or fraudulent at their discretion. Not saying yours is either. You should be able to get a basic account with one of the major banks. Are you just applying online or are you taking all your info in and speaking with someone? If this proves impossible, you will be able to get a paid for account where you pay maybe £9 per month. Use this to re-build your credit and then move to the bank of your choice after 6 months or so. However, I would have thought you should be able to get a basic free bank account with a little effort. Failing that, check your credit report isn't worse than you think or incorrect. Get your actual credit score.

Getting more credit isn't what I need to help my rating, I already have 2 over drafts (not used) a credit card and a car loan, all of which are kept perfectly. Its the one old load from HSBC who have screwed me.

Getting more credit isn't what I need to help my rating, I already have 2 over drafts (not used) a credit card and a car loan, all of which are kept perfectly. Its the one old load from HSBC who have screwed me.

Well defaults remain on your record for 6 years. If the old HSBC issue is incorrect, then you can get a a note put on your credit file to instruct those who search your record that the entry is incorrect.

Archived