I thought banks HAD to offer you an account?

The banks were forced into offering basic bank accounts by the government when it was decided to do away with the "Giro" as a method of paying income support, unemployment benefit etc.

Thats what I heard, but Nationwide refused me :( No offer of any account, just a "Go away and please do not darken our door anymore" response :(

Thats what I heard, but Nationwide refused me :( No offer of any account, just a "Go away and please do not darken our door anymore" response :(

Probably because as someone has already said, Nationwide is not a bank.

With their attitude I wouldn't want to give them my business anyway.

I hate banks, I don't trust them at all. I only keep just enough in to pay the necessary direct debits. Any extra I have stays in my safe at home, It doesn't earn interest but with the pittance they offer now it doesn't matter. At least I have control over my money.

Just a quick one. I have just applied for a bank account with Nationwide. Of all the info I gave they have refused me. Now I know there is one negative item on my credit report that I am having trouble removing. Its a loan that vanished from HSBC many years ago and after 2 years worth of asking where it was, it turned up with a recovery agency who immediately registered it as defaulted. Its paid off now but is still sitting on my credit file as a defaulted item, much to my annoyance.

Anyway, back to my question. I thought banks had to offer their most basic accounts to anyone. I'm not interested in overdrafts any any other forms of credit but I have been refused their FlexAccount (which is their most basic account listed). Does anyone know if what I thought is in-fact correct?

try barclays, i have their basic one because my credit rating is pretty bad

The banks were forced into offering basic bank accounts by the government when it was decided to do away with the "Giro" as a method of paying income support, unemployment benefit etc.

No, that's wrong although they offer them they can still refuse to set one up.

Although they did away with the Giro the Govt now offer what is called a "simple payment method" which is paid at participating pay-points. The reason is that banks are not obliged by law to give anyone an account and its designed for those people who cant or wont get an account.

Probably because as someone has already said, Nationwide is not a bank.

With their attitude I wouldn't want to give them my business anyway.

I hate banks, I don't trust them at all. I only keep just enough in to pay the necessary direct debits. Any extra I have stays in my safe at home, It doesn't earn interest but with the pittance they offer now it doesn't matter. At least I have control over my money.

No. The Nationwide do provide "Basic Bank Accounts".

The Credit problem will have given them grounds for refusal.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/debt_e/debt_banking_e/getting_a_bank_account.htm

RBS refused me a basic account about 2 years ago. I had previously been with them and had closed my account 6 years prior to this new application due to a conflict with the bank over excessive charges of which the case was found in my favour. I needed a local bank and Halifax closed their branch leaving only RBS.

RBS refused "based on credit score" however when I tried with another bank in town (which is inconvenient) they accepted me and told me my score was excellent.

Seems RBS have their own vetting list and have blacklisted me because they couldn't extort cash from me.

Yet they offer bank accounts.:)

Yes, these days they do 'crossover' business ... but they are STILL different types of institutions i.e. Members as opposed to Share-holders, etc. and have different rules ...

anyway I'm bored now ... :cool:

Yes, these days they do 'crossover' business ... but they are STILL different types of institutions i.e. Members as opposed to Share-holders, etc. and have different rules ...

anyway I'm bored now ... :cool:

You are right of course.Sorry if you are bored-it must be tedious for you.

But sadly that did not work, and some people could not get bank accounts & were reliant on opening POCA accounts.

Archived