IDS reckons he could live on £53 a week. Currently on £1581 a week.

What I find quite depressing from many of the previous posts is the envy. If someone is hard woking or fortunate enough to have wealth then they are subjected to quite horrible attacks "he married into money" Tory tosspots" etc.

Who are you trying to kid.

Its not about what it should cost but how much it does cost.

I pay on average over the year around £10 pw gas, £10 pw Electric and almost £10 pw for water and I am a single adult. On top of that will be travel expenses to get to the shops to buy the food which is another £3.00 pw. Then the cost of travel to sign on £1.50 pw. The cost of a telephone line for calls and internet another £5.00 pw in order to be classed by the Jobcentre as Job Ready and not be thrown off.

That totals £39.50

None of the above are classed as luxuries but essentials.

If I received £53 then that would then leave £13.50 for food and other essential items.

As far as an incentive to find a job comes in then that's what the current system of Jobcentres and work providers get paid for. If you don't already have that incentive then you will receive no benefits.

I spend £53+ just on food! who the heck can survive on 53 quid a week. Say you need the internet and a phone too to look for work? what about bills? what about other essentials?

It's a ridiculous statement. IDS is out of touch with reality and what things actually cost.

What I find quite depressing from many of the previous posts is the envy. If someone is hard woking or fortunate enough to have wealth then they are subjected to quite horrible attacks "he married into money" Tory tosspots" etc.

The fact is that the previous government spent all your money (not mine I wasnt here). It borrowed so much that your grandchildren will still be paying this off in 50 years time.

Unless, a firm grip is taken on public spending and the benefits culture is brought to and end.

A mansion tax or taxes on second homes will only drive entrapanuers and business owners out of the country, top level tax should be 40p not 45 and certainly not 50. This will encourage international business to set up here.

I don't think it's envy. More like these idiots at westminster patronizing poor people while they cut everything.

And by the way the majority of benefits claimants are actually WORKING so how's that for a benefits culture, when working people can't even make ends meet?

You're still disregarding the fact he can't even pay his bills though??

A fridge a luxury?? How does he store his food, or does he have to spend £3.40 a day on a bus ticket to buy his food fresh every day?

Why would someone that’s unemployed need to catch a bus, they have all day and one can easily walk 40 miles in a day if necessary.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:23 ----------

A fiver a week for each child?

You can't live on £53 a week (after your rent and a load of other things have been paid) but your kids are supposed to exist on a fiver? - Shame on you!

That’s what I thought, obviously not very caring parents.

Why would someone that’s unemployed need to catch a bus, they have all day and one can easily walk 40 miles in a day if necessary.

Yeah and they should get 60 lashes too for being so idle! unemployed people being all unemployed and stuff, who do they think they are?

Its not about what it should cost but how much it does cost.

Yes it is, if they spend more than that then they are spending too much, they should turn the marijuana lamps off.

I pay on average over the year around £10 pw gas, £10 pw Electric and almost £10 pw for water and I am a single adult. On top of that will be travel expenses to get to the shops to buy the food which is another £3.00 pw. Then the cost of travel to sign on £1.50 pw. The cost of a telephone line for calls and internet another £5.00 pw in order to be classed by the Jobcentre as Job Ready and not be thrown off.

You spend too much and there are no travel costs to the shops if you use those dangly things under your arse.

That totals £39.50

None of the above are classed as luxuries but essentials.

If I received £53 then that would then leave £13.50 for food and other essential items.

As far as an incentive to find a job comes in then that's what the current system of Jobcentres and work providers get paid for. If you don't already have that incentive then you will receive no benefits.

Billions of people around the world would think gas and electricity are luxuries and one can easily manage without them.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:33 ----------

What planet do you live on, £20 per week will not cover both gas and electricity. You need to get off your soap box and start living in the real world :loopy:

It easily covers it; some of you lot need to learn how to survive with all these luxuries that you take for granted and think are an entitlement.

Yes it is, if they spend more than that then they are spending too much, they should turn the marijuana lamps off.

You spend too much and there are no travel costs to the shops if you use those dangly things under your arse.

Billions of people around the world would think gas and electricity are luxuries and one can easily manage without them.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:33 ----------

It easily covers it; some of you lot need to learn how to survive with all these luxuries that you take for granted and think are an entitlement.

How do you mean "you lot". I work for a living, but I know how some people on benefits are really going to struggle. How dare you come out with such comments? You are the most arrogant person I have ever had the misfortune not to meet. I can only hope that you yourself will one day somehow fall into poverty. I think you need :help:

No you didn't. You were opining a few posts back that billions of people worldwide live on less than £53 per week

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:48 ----------

I have to hand it to you...when it comes to asking rickydoodelous questions you have few peers.

The scary thing is that Mr Smith probably isn't taking the mick. If you likened him to Mr Bumble who Oliver Twist asks for more gruel, he's take that as a compliment :roll:

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:50 ----------

To go for a job interview DUH!

Archived