IDS reckons he could live on £53 a week. Currently on £1581 a week.

It wasn't a comment by IDS, it was a response to a question which was basically "could you live on benefits?" To which the answer was clearly yes. Would you rather he'd lied and said no?

He lied when compiling his CV claiming to attend the University of Perugia but attended an alternative which did not award degrees.This is deliberate lying or mendacity-hardly consistent with the catholic background he parades.

Well he was sure, because he did when he left the Army. It wasn't a hypothetical question for him as he has done.

And wasn't unemployment benefit back in the early 80's far more generous that JSA is these days? And AFAIK this was before gas, electric & water were privatised and increased well beyond inflation - bus fares and other public transport were subsidised.

Like I said - he didn't stop and think.

According to the Mirror he did.

The Mirror?If he was on the dole he would have had a golden handshake when leaving the forces-a transitional payment plus a load of wealthy relatives to send him food parcels and the like.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 19:29 ----------

And wasn't unemployment benefit back in the early 80's far more generous that JSA is these days? And AFAIK this was before gas, electric & water were privatised and increased well beyond inflation - bus fares and other public transport were subsidised.

Before VAT was levied on fuel bills and was set at 12.5% on many items.

A better question would have been "When did you last spend only £53 in a given week?"

IDS was lying and over the next few weeks will be exposed as an intellectual pygmy again.However I can understand a rich man like him wanting to humble the poor but I cannot understand why the SF ten bob millionaires wish to emulate his example.

A better question would have been "when did you last survive on benefits" to which the answer would be "when I was unemployed having left the Army".

Clearly he doesn't only spend £53 a week now, why would he? It's a silly question with no bearing on anything.

A better question would have been "when did you last survive on benefits" to which the answer would be "when I was unemployed having left the Army".

Clearly he doesn't only spend £53 a week now, why would he? It's a silly question with no bearing on anything.

As stated already he would have issued with a lump sum upon completing his commission,and would have saved some money.But he is a liar isn't he and a proven liar.He cannot be trusted to tell the truth.He should resign,and will be forced to quit before a 12 month.

The Mirror?If he was on the dole he would have had a golden handshake when leaving the forces-a transitional payment plus a load of wealthy relatives to send him food parcels and the like.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 19:29 ----------

Before VAT was levied on fuel bills and was set at 12.5% on many items.

And his first spell of redundancy (and perhaps his second) would have been when unemployment benefit was earnings related (abolished 1982).

I have no idea what the relative real terms benefits were worth back in the late 70's when he left the Army. They can't have been all that great as whatever they were mass unemployment led to the Tories getting in for a long time.

It's still all a bit irrelevant, the more pertinent question would be how on earth the chap in question is managing to earn 1/7 of the NMW working very long hours and benefits are being paid on that basis. Either the man is a very busy fool or there is more than meets the eye to his claim.

I have no idea what the relative real terms benefits were worth back in the late 70's when he left the Army. They can't have been all that great as whatever they were mass unemployment led to the Tories getting in for a long time.

It's still all a bit irrelevant, the more pertinent question would be how on earth the chap in question is managing to earn 1/7 of the NMW working very long hours and benefits are being paid on that basis. Either the man is a very busy fool or there is more than meets the eye to his claim.

In 1979 the unemployment rate was 1.1 million,by 1986 the Thatcher administration had squeezed that to over 3 million.The mass unemployment you describe came as a result of Thatcher.

In your second paragraph you are shifting the argument but it has been noticed.:)

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 19:45 ----------

If Iain Duncan Smith ever lived entirely on benefits I'm a banana. When his wife is the daughter of landed gentry with an estate that they now live on?

Been on benefits, yes. Survived on them - not a chance in hell.

He probably never bothered to queue up for fear of meeting some "ordinary" types with soiled clothing.

If Iain Duncan Smith ever lived entirely on benefits I'm a banana. When his wife is the daughter of landed gentry with an estate that they now live on?

Been on benefits, yes. Survived on them - not a chance in hell.

He hadn't met his wife when he was on the dole and likely would not have done had he not got a job.

Archived