IDS reckons he could live on £53 a week. Currently on £1581 a week.

He hadn't met his wife when he was on the dole and likely would not have done had he not got a job.

He had not married by then but there is nothing to suggest they had not met and exchanged favours.He may deny this but who would believe him?Cameron has made him a fall-guy,shielding smarmy Dave while he soothes the angry one,Nick Clegg.

I have no idea what the relative real terms benefits were worth back in the late 70's when he left the Army.

They were significantly higher in terms of average weekly earnings;

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/02/unemployment-benefit-forty

and in those days weekly earnings would have been subject to income tax of 30% - so "dole" was a lot more generous and prices generally lower.

Therefore much easier to survive on unemployment benefit when IDS was (briefly) unemployed.

He hadn't met his wife when he was on the dole and likely would not have done had he not got a job.

Hadn't he? According to basic google he married her in 1982 and was signing on in 1981. Whirlwind courtship, then. Perhaps marrying in to the aristocracy was an appealing prospect at the time, who knows?

If Iain Duncan Smith ever lived entirely on benefits I'm a banana. When his wife is the daughter of landed gentry with an estate that they now live on?

Been on benefits, yes. Survived on them - not a chance in hell.

If you have a look at his history here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith

you will see that, whilst it cannot be definitively stated that he did not survive solely on benefits, there is certainly the possibility that he was surrounded by enough wealthy friends and family to have secured a little financial assistance on the way.

What job did he get andy?

He apparently became a salesman. NB I'm not his biographer and really this is all out there if people want to look and it's all completely irrelevant to the changes being put in place. The changes are reasonable or they are unreasonable and people will take differing views on that. Whether the responsible minister ever lived on £53 or £2.50 and some stale crisps has no bearing on the matter, it's just childish to suggest it does.

Hadn't he? According to basic google he married her in 1982 and was signing on in 1981. Whirlwind courtship, then. Perhaps marrying in to the aristocracy was an appealing prospect at the time, who knows?

Are you suggesting it was a marriage based on expediency?How dare you sully the reputation of the esteemed member for Chingford?

If you have a look at his history here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith

you will see that, whilst it cannot be definitively stated that he did not survive solely on benefits, there is certainly the possibility that he was surrounded by enough wealthy friends and family to have secured a little financial assistance on the way.

Mike, I love you. So admirably even-handed. Yes, I think that's a fair assessment of the situation :)

Archived