IDS reckons he could live on £53 a week. Currently on £1581 a week.

Doubt it, most Tories will be glad he's done it.

Appealing to the more rabid elements of your core vote when you are part of a coalition and trailing in the polls hardly equates to smart politics. IDS did that when he was Tory leader -not very succesful as I recall :cool:

It’s very clear that he wasn’t saying he could manage on £53 a week whilst doing his job, so quoting his parliamentary expanses has proof he couldn’t manage is a tad silly.

Coming from the master I will treat "tad silly" with the contempt it richly merits. Did you major in irony perchance?

Who are the real scroungers?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/05/mps-expenses-vs-benefit-fraud/

Coming from the master I will treat "tad silly" with the contempt it richly merits. Did you major in irony perchance?

Who are the real scroungers?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/05/mps-expenses-vs-benefit-fraud/

You are confusing two entirely separate issues, the benefits system is too generous as are the expenses politicians can claim. Using one as an excuse to justify the other is silly.

You seen to mix up hard work with physical effort. They are not the same

There are many who wish nothing more than to go through life "cradle to grave" never having lifted a finger to earn a living. They turn up for job interviews and tell the potential employer they are only at the interview because they were forced there to avoid a benefit cut. They will explain all the problems they would cause if they were given a job. They then return to their life on hand outs.

In your opinion, what percentage of people who are out of work don't want a job?

In your opinion, what percentage of people who are out of work don't want a job?

It's it impossible to say because some would they they did even if they didn't. I suspect the number of people who don't want to work is very low contrary to the image of the unemployed portrayed in the popular press.

It's it impossible to say because some would they they did even if they didn't. I suspect the number of people who don't want to work is very low contrary to the image of the unemployed portrayed in the popular press.

Fully agree mate, I've never personally met anyone who does not want to work, its just the press forcing the working class to battle each other while the rich get richer.

I have not been out of work for years but when I was in the recession hit 80's benefits were by no means dished out easily and it was a pittance (£23pw I think).

Who'd have thought it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9968757/Tory-MP-complains-to-the-BBC-about-market-trader-who-challenged-IDS-on-benefits.html

"However, it has now been disclosed that Mr Bennett, who was back on his market stall selling household goods on Tuesday, receives £232 a month in housing benefit and £200 a month in working tax credit, triple the amount of money he quoted in the challenge to Mr Duncan Smith."

His average weekly income, including market stall earnings, is in fact £156 a week.

Who'd have thought it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9968757/Tory-MP-complains-to-the-BBC-about-market-trader-who-challenged-IDS-on-benefits.html

"However, it has now been disclosed that Mr Bennett, who was back on his market stall selling household goods on Tuesday, receives £232 a month in housing benefit and £200 a month in working tax credit, triple the amount of money he quoted in the challenge to Mr Duncan Smith."

His average weekly income, including market stall earnings, is in fact £156 a week.

He receives £7,800 a year,still a small sum,and well below his personal tax allowance and the minimum wage(assuming 40 hours worked).A tenth of the salary of MPs,and equivalent to what GPs earn in a month.

What is the point of the ongoing vitriolic attacks on the character of Ian Duncan Smith?

I have read the posts there are few, if any, suggestions as to how the UK is going to get out of the mess we are in. All that contributors seem to want to do is attack the man personally.

The fact is, we are in serious financial trouble. This dates back to the introduction of government social welfare in the early 1900s. Well meant but allowed to spiral out of control.

"Bailing out the banks" two world wars, loss of empire etc has dealt the UK serious blows from which we recover. We will never recover fully, nor we will grow and prosper until such time as welfare spending is brought under control permanently.

Taxation should be reduced at the same time. The target should be that no one earning less than £15,000 p.a should pay income tax. The Minimum Wage should be increased to £8.00.per hour.

All unnecessary welfare benefits, e.g. to those who are fit to work but will not, should cease. The NHS, Police and Emergency services should have strict financial restraints placed upon them and we should scrap Trident.

There, a few suggestions not involving the personal, pretty vile attacks on a man who is, at least, trying to get something done.

Archived