IDS reckons he could live on £53 a week. Currently on £1581 a week.

This is the article the wiki page references; http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/17/atos-attack-emotional-commons-debate. This doesn't really answer whether the 1300 deaths arose from being forced to start looking for work or as a result of the illnesses.

Sadly, I've known people with terminal cancer who have continued to work throughout their illness and through to their death. While every case such as this differs (and is very difficult to broach subjectively/unemotively), I don't see why cancer or other serious illnesses are automatically considered as a barrier to employment.

The Daily Mirror did an investigation into this, and the Mirror does acknowledge that of the 1,100 some died of something completely unrelated to their benefit claim. But the anecdotal evidence does seem to be compelling

Here's the link to the article anway http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2012/04/32-die-a-week-after-failing-in.html

WOW, you compare the cost of living here to poor people that live on a bowl of rice a day, don't have shelter, clean water, gas and electricity, TV, phone, cars.

Is this the same Mr Smith who opposed foreign aid,or am I making a mistake?

Nothing like avoiding the topic is there :rolleyes:

It is what it costs to survive in this country that is relevant to the OP.

Yes and £53 with free accommodation is plenty and significantly more than billions of other people have, its like some of you think the British are more important than other humans.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 21:16 ----------

Is this the same Mr Smith who opposed foreign aid,or am I making a mistake?

I have never opposed foreign aid, although I do oppose throwing money into bottomless pits of corruption.

Yes and £53 with free accommodation is plenty and significantly more than billions of other people have, its like some of you think the British are more important than other humans.

Another dumb dodge.

It isn't relevant what billions in other countries need to survive. It is what is needed to survive in this country. £53 a week will get you what exactly if you have to survive on it for a long time? There is absolutely no room for unexpected costs - something breaking down, something needing replacing.

I've worked with homeless and marginalised people for 20 plus years and been through the sums many times over. Hence the big increase in people using food banks, increases in illnesses (and therefore additional cost to the NHS) due to people unable to afford adequate heating this winter etc etc.

It isn't relevant what billions in other countries need to survive. It is what is needed to survive in this country. £53 a week will get you what exactly if you have to survive on it for a long time? There is absolutely no room for unexpected costs - something breaking down, something needing replacing.

I've worked with homeless and marginalised people for 20 plus years and been through the sums many times over. Hence the big increase in people using food banks, increases in illnesses (and therefore additional cost to the NHS) due to people unable to afford adequate heating this winter etc etc.

Yep and £53 plus a free house is enough, it might not be the best life ever, but it’s a better life than half the world’s population and is enough until one can support one’s self by working.

Yep and £53 plus a free house is enough, it might not be the best life ever, but it’s a better life than half the world’s population and is enough until one can support one’s self by working.

Are you still on your soapbox preaching the gospel according to MrSmith.

Housings no longer free,claimants pay council tax now and water rates,and not everyones getting £53 as some claimants have other deductions at source,so it can be as low as £35,even less in extreme cases

Housings no longer free,claimants pay council tax now and water rates,and not everyones getting £53 as some claimants have other deductions at source,so it can be as low as £35,even less in extreme cases

Yes it is if the house you occupy is the right size for your needs.

Archived