Samuel Fox Inn - Bradwell, Review

top4718

After reading a favourable review of the Samuel Fox in the Star recently (can't remember if it was Dawes or Davison) I decided to pay it a visit last Friday.

Had a lovely drive out to Bradwell on a very cold, clear day with the remaining snow looking stunning, arrived to find a small secluded pub overlooking (I think) Kinder Scout, its a lovely stone building that looks like its had some recent work done. Parked in the small car park at the rear and entered the pub through the front doors........heres where my chin hit the floor, the pub was empty barring two old couples eating, the furnishings look sparse and the rickety looking tables look like cheap conservatory furniture, "are you sure this place is supposed to be ok" asked the Mrs!!!

We decided to stay, ordered drinks and sat at a window facing table, the bar man then asked us to move as he was re-arranging the tables for a party of 14 later.

The menu that day was a smallish choice on a blackboard, ironically at the side of the pub we had just moved from so we walked back to look.

We made our choices the table was set by the attentive and knowledgable bar man, my son was with us so we got a kids menu for him to choose from, strangley this had no starters on it so we asked if we could have some garlic bread which was not a problem.

A small amount of bread and butter was brought to the table and the starters arrived promptly, this is where the Samuel Fox scores highly, the food is excellent, tasty and well presented, I had a delicious cottage pie for my main which was piping hot and very good. My lad said his garlic bread (which had been made specially) was the best he'd ever had.

We all had three courses with very good red wine and local ales and the bill was £75.00.

Fantastic food but the furniture really does need replacing, the place was also slightly cold on our visit.

Give it a try with a little caution.

The interior isn't great at the Samuel Fox but the place is to be refurbished in the near future.

The food is excellent and very good value along with good wines and real ales. I would highly recommend it.

If you want to go by bus the 272 service stops bang outside.

The interior isn't great at the Samuel Fox but the place is to be refurbished in the near future.

The food is excellent and very good value along with good wines and real ales. I would highly recommend it.

If you want to go by bus the 272 service stops bang outside.

Aye - I agree. The food is top and I really do recommend it. The place is in need of a refurb and I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

Archived