Police car pursuits- for safety or fun?

On one of these Police Camera Action programmes we get to see 'highly trained' police drivers in action and banging on about motoring safety.

Yet there was one scene where the police car starts chasing a guy on a motorbike who they spotted riding without a helmet (there was no other reason they started chasing him). This turned into a high speed pursuit. Surely the sensible thing to do is just 'let it go'? Why risk the bikers life just to give him a stern telling off or a fine? They didnt see the irony of their holier than thou rolloking they gave him when they forced him to pull over.

So..where should the line be drawn between 'highly trained' police drivers pursuing other motorists at speed, and not doing? A child can step out from behind any car.

Surely the best thing would have been for the biker to have stopped..what other crimes would like the police to "just let go"? When vehicles are stopped for one reason the police usually find other things..ie..no tax,insurance,licence etcetc..

Whats the point in having a law that says that motorcyclists MUST wear a helmet if the're not going to bother enforcing it? The biker was already risking his own life by stupidly not wearing a helmet.

What next- not bothering pulling people who don't have there seatbelts on, or testing people to see if they are over the drink drive limit.

The police are there to enforce the law- not to 'let it go' as you suggest.

Whats the point in having a law that says that motorcyclists MUST wear a helmet if the're not going to bother enforcing it? The biker was already risking his own life by stupidly not wearing a helmet.

What next- not bothering pulling people who don't have there seatbelts on, or testing people to see if they are over the drink drive limit.

The police are there to enforce the law- not to 'let it go' as you suggest.

They are also there to PROTECT and serve. I think your opinion would change if it was a loved one of yours that died purely because the police wanted to point out a minor misdemeanor.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 13:21 ----------

Surely the best thing would have been for the biker to have stopped..what other crimes would like the police to "just let go"? When vehicles are stopped for one reason the police usually find other things..ie..no tax,insurance,licence etcetc..

Bikers are more vunerable. A biker with no helmet is very vunerable. A biker being chased by a car is even more vunerable.

They are also there to PROTECT and serve. I think your opinion would change if it was a loved one of yours that died purely because the police wanted to point out a minor misdemeanor.

OK I'll not bother taxing or insuring my bike..obviously all I have to do is ride away quickly from the police and I'll get away with it..happy days..

They are, they were trying to PROTECT him from dying if he crashed- get it?

If he had been wearing his helmet he wouldn't have needed to have taken off on a high speed pursuit would he? - therefore no-one would have needed to have be put in danger.

You can't pick and choose what laws you abide by- if you choose to live here you follow the rules or risk them being forced upon you, its as simple as that.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 13:21 ----------

Bikers are more vunerable. A biker with no helmet is very vunerable. A biker being chased by a car is even more vunerable.

They should think about that then before they go out on the bike..it's their fault that they aren't wearing a helmet..maybe they should't ride away from the police if they feel that vulnerable..

During a police chase, a senior officer back at control will give authorisation for the chase to proceed, if it's deemed to put anyone's life in danger then it will be stopped. But as said above, they probably half hoped the biker would pull over. They can't just call a chase off because he didn't, everyone drug runner and all would be riding about on bikes with no lids to get away with being pulled.

Archived