Police car pursuits- for safety or fun?

They are, they were trying to PROTECT him from dying if he crashed- get it?

If he had been wearing his helmet he wouldn't have needed to have taken off on a high speed pursuit would he? - therefore no-one would have needed to have be put in danger.

You can't pick and choose what laws you abide by- if you choose to live here you follow the rules or risk them being forced upon you, its as simple as that.

I suspect if he'd crashed and died the police would have had some questions to answer and rightly so.

I suspect if he'd crashed and died the police would have had some questions to answer and rightly so.

You seem to be saying that its the polices fault that he decided not to wear a helmet? If your daft enough to take that risk then its your fault, and yours ALONE, if you die when you crash due to a head injury.

As long as the police followed correct procedure as v.rossi mentions earlier in the thread, there wouldn't be any questions asked apart from "Why did that idiot biker not wear a helmet".

You seem to be rather passionate about the police being wrong on this- can i assume that someone you know has been pulled for riding without a helmet?

Has the rider no responsibility for his own actions...riding away from the police?

His actions didnt warrant the police putting him in a life threatening position. Yes he chose to ride without a helmet but that in itself is not nearly as dangerous as a high speed chase.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 13:36 ----------

You seem to be saying that its the polices fault that he decided not to wear a helmet? If your daft enough to take that risk then its your fault, and yours ALONE, if you die when you crash due to a head injury.

As long as the police followed correct procedure as v.rossi mentions earlier in the thread, there wouldn't be any questions asked apart from "Why did that idiot biker not wear a helmet".

You seem to be rather passionate about the police being wrong on this- can i assume that someone you know has been pulled for riding without a helmet?[/QUOTE]

Er no :confused: Im passionate about (some) police abusing their power in general. Quite a few people are going by those little riots not long ago.

His actions didnt warrant the police putting him in a life threatening position. Yes he chose to ride without a helmet but that in itself is not nearly as dangerous as a high speed chase.

How does the rider know what's going to happen during his trip..without involving the police anything can happen to cause him to crash and sustain head injuries..the rider took the risk.he put himself in the dangerous position..all he had to do was either comply with the law or stop when asked...it's his fault..should the police stop chasing muggers/shoplifters/burglars on foot just in case they fall over and bang their head? As I posted earlier..one motoring offence usually ends up with the police finding others..eg no insurance/licence etc..are you saying that these shouldn't be stopped..?

Er no :confused: Im passionate about (some) police abusing their power in general. Quite a few people are going by those little riots not long ago.

I'm confused, you seem to think that policemen upholding the law by making someone wear a helmet (for there own safety might i add) is abusing their power?

Surely they are just doing their job?

How does the rider know what's going to happen during his trip..without involving the police anything can happen to cause him to crash and sustain head injuries..the rider took the risk.he put himself in the dangerous position..all he had to do was either comply with the law or stop when asked...it's his fault..should the police stop chasing muggers/shoplifters/burglars on foot just in case they fall over and bang their head? As I posted earlier..one motoring offence usually ends up with the police finding others..eg no insurance/licence etc..are you saying that these shouldn't be stopped..?

Clearly its about weighing up the level of risk to human life against the severity of the potential crime involved. You dont seem to be able to do this.

Suppose the rider had special needs and was just messing around with a friends bike? Police spooked him and off he went. Oh well..he died but he did deserve the telling off the police were chasing him for to give him.

The police did not put the motorcycle rider in a dangerous position, the motorcycle rider is responsible for his own actions so he chose not to wear a helmet and then he chose to try to evade capture. The fact that he chose to evade capture, rather than accept a ticking off by the police in itself suggests that he may be responsible for further more serious crimes which warrants the pursuit.

Attempting to apprehend people that break the law is a core part of the polices responsibilities would you not agree?

in some cases they has to be common sense used

time after time ive seen police cars driving on deerlands ave where there is always kids about young kids and ive seen them drive at 90 plus without sirens on a few times without even lights on either

i no they are very good drivers but no way if i little kid stepped out in road could they stop in time at that speed they wouldnt even see them

Archived