Police car pursuits- for safety or fun?

How does the rider know what's going to happen during his trip..without involving the police anything can happen to cause him to crash and sustain head injuries..the rider took the risk.he put himself in the dangerous position..all he had to do was either comply with the law or stop when asked...it's his fault..should the police stop chasing muggers/shoplifters/burglars on foot just in case they fall over and bang their head? As I posted earlier..one motoring offence usually ends up with the police finding others..eg no insurance/licence etc..are you saying that these shouldn't be stopped..?

Clearly its about weighing up the level of risk to human life against the severity of the potential crime involved. You dont seem to be able to do this.

Suppose the rider had special needs and was just messing around with a friends bike? Police spooked him and off he went. Oh well..he died but he did deserve the telling off the police were chasing him for to give him.

How many people was the guy with special needs putting at risk while messing about with his mate's bike.?Does he have a licence? Insurance? Is the bike tested? Is it roadworthy?..No,it'd be a good idea for the police to ignore him and let him do what he wants.. :roll:

When I lived in MS, I was told that if a Policeman (A County Mountie) sees you riding at more than [his estimate] 80 mph, you're OK because he won't even bother trying to chase you. It would be too dangerous.

I didn't have the fastest bike in the world, but it was capable of rather more than 80 mph.

Then I saw a local Sherriff's Department cruiser chasing somebody at about 50 mph and I realised why it would be dangerous for them to chase somebody at 40.

I suspect if he'd crashed and died the police would have had some questions to answer and rightly so.

But it was the guy riding the bike that decided not to wear a helmet and then speed away when the police tried to pull him over.

Why did he decided to hot foot it at high speed, most likely he knew he was wanted for some other crime.

How many people was the guy with special needs putting at risk while messing about with his mate's bike.?Does he have a licence? Insurance? Is the bike tested? Is it roadworthy?..No,it'd be a good idea for the police to ignore him and let him do what he wants.. :roll:

Or they could abandon all common sense (like radio for other patrols to keep an eye out for this grade A dangerous criminal) and go on a good old high speed chase through a built up area risking carnage of innocent lives. :rolleyes:

If peoples lives arent already at serious risk- why put them at risk?

Or they could abandon all common sense (like radio for other patrols to keep an eye out for this grade A dangerous criminal) and go on a good old high speed chase through a built up area risking carnage of innocent lives. :rolleyes:

If peoples lives arent already at serious risk- why put them at risk?

And what happens when the biker turns off the road before he's seen by another patrol (how many do you think there are by the way?)..Tomorrow he can get up and do it all again uninsured/unlicenced/untaxed and unroadworthy..safer for us all eh?

in some cases they has to be common sense used

time after time ive seen police cars driving on deerlands ave where there is always kids about young kids and ive seen them drive at 90 plus without sirens on a few times without even lights on either

i no they are very good drivers but no way if i little kid stepped out in road could they stop in time at that speed they wouldnt even see them

I couldn't agree more with that statement, a lot of them are idiots with no concern for safety, you see it all the time, even on TV they all want the keys for the scooby or the focus RS, I wonder why, ride comfort? fuel economy? Yet when they go up Hanover way, a dual carriageway where they really could put their foot down, they rarely go over 50mph.

However, this thread is about police bashing particular pursuits? and other than a general hate for the police, or not enough intelligence to open a can of coke, I fail to see any justification for it.

If someone decides to ride a bike without a lid, then they are effectively saying their life is worthless. A biker myself, knows only too well how important a lid is. If the police then attempt to stop them, and they pull back on the throttle and take off then they have signed, sealed and delivered that statement...

The same applies to someone not wearing a seat belt in a car, it is an offence so the police, upon seeing you are likely to pull you, if you then take off and during pursuit crash and are maimed, do you seriously think it would be the responsibility of the pursuing police officer(s), if so then I'm afraid you are a very deluded person and should probably start taking a little responsibility for your own life / actions.

On one of these Police Camera Action programmes we get to see 'highly trained' police drivers in action and banging on about motoring safety.

Yet there was one scene where the police car starts chasing a guy on a motorbike who they spotted riding without a helmet (there was no other reason they started chasing him). This turned into a high speed pursuit. Surely the sensible thing to do is just 'let it go'? Why risk the bikers life just to give him a stern telling off or a fine? They didnt see the irony of their holier than thou rolloking they gave him when they forced him to pull over.

So..where should the line be drawn between 'highly trained' police drivers pursuing other motorists at speed, and not doing? A child can step out from behind any car.

Depends how old the program was some of these police programs are years old, and as i now understand it police do not now pursue motorcyclists at high speed if they are not wearing a crash helmet, this was stated by a policeman on a recently filmed program.

Did you ever see the 2 South Yorkshire motorway policemen that came across two young women broken down late at night, one decided that the cambelt on the car had snapped and it was stopping the pistons going up and down when his mate was turning the ignition key on, no mechanical knowledge at all cambelts nowt to do with the pistons moving up and down. This one has now been promoted to a sergent as shown in the latest South Yorks Interceptor programs, god help us with people like that on the force.

Depends how old the program was some of these police programs are years old, and as i now understand it police do not now pursue motorcyclists at high speed if they are not wearing a crash helmet, this was stated by a policeman on a recently filmed program.

Did you ever see the 2 South Yorkshire motorway policemen that came across two young women broken down late at night, one decided that the cambelt on the car had snapped and it was stopping the pistons going up and down when his mate was turning the ignition key on, no mechanical knowledge at all cambelts nowt to do with the pistons moving up and down. This wally has now been promoted to a sergent as shown in the latest South Yorks Interceotor programs, god help us with dimwits like that on the force.

Is mechanical knowledge necessary for promotion then.

Archived