Police car pursuits- for safety or fun?

Depends how old the program was some of these police programs are years old, and as i now understand it police do not now pursue motorcyclists at high speed if they are not wearing a crash helmet, this was stated by a policeman on a recently filmed program.

It was a while ago and probably a repeat. I'm glad that you posted this though! It seems common sense has prevailed and the higher importance of preserving human life over the issuing of a fine for a minor highway code offence has been realised. :)

Some on here have still to attain this common sense and thank god they (hopefully) arent cops!

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 17:09 ----------

OP - So do you think the police should abandon all high speed pursuits and let criminals escape.

Nope. I dont believe riding without a helmet is a criminal offence. Silly but not criminal.

It was a while ago and probably a repeat. I'm glad that you posted this though! It seems common sense has prevailed and the higher importance of preserving human life over the issuing of a fine for a minor highway code offence has been realised. :)

Some on here have still to attain this common sense and thank god they (hopefully) arent cops!

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 17:09 ----------

Nope. I dont believe riding without a helmet is a criminal offence. Silly but not criminal.

Yes riding without an helmet might not be the greatest of offences to commit, it's certainly a stupid thing to do, but why did the rider of the bike decide to shoot off at speed. If I was the police and all I was just trying to do was pull over a biker for not wearing a helmet and that rider then decided to try and escape at speed, I would be very suspicious as to why they would want to do that.

Did you ever see the 2 South Yorkshire motorway policemen that came across two young women broken down late at night, one decided that the cambelt on the car had snapped and it was stopping the pistons going up and down when his mate was turning the ignition key on, no mechanical knowledge at all cambelts nowt to do with the pistons moving up and down. This wally has now been promoted to a sergent as shown in the latest South Yorks Interceotor programs, god help us with dimwits like that on the force.

This has to be the silliest statement I've read in a long time.

Well it is - and has been since 1973. I believe the original law exempted you if you were a Sikh. I don't know if this is still the case. In either event, religious observance does not excuse you from pulling over when instructed to do so.

Yes, I would expect police to pursue in this case. Recently it appears that there is indeed a tendency to allow those riding illegally to escape rather than pursue. This will indeed be a risk-based decision made by someone other than the police driver. IMHO, these decisions are a bit too risk-averse, but you can't do right for doing wrong if you're the police these days.

The special-needs-illegal-biker argument is invalid. I hesitate to use the s-word on a forum, but...

Thats Nice

And just whats silly about it? It was again repeated on Sky TV tonight, the policeman in question was then PC Houghton but now has been promoted to a Sergent.

So, you are saying, just cos he's not mechanical minded, he must be some sort of dimwit. And how does his lack of mechanical knowledge have anything to do with his promotion. I would understand if he was a mechanic and it was relevant.

Amazed. Utterly amazed.

If you have nothing to hide then you dont run, its as simple as that.

The police these days are subject to the HSE, and have to jump through hoops. If they want to do a rolling blockage of a car on the motorway they have to have it approved. If there is a motorbike chase, especially in built up areas, it is now deemed too dangerous to chase, so it is called off before it gets dangerous. The (potential) criminal gets away.

Motor cyclists who ride without a helmet are idiots.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 22:24 ----------

Did you ever see the 2 South Yorkshire motorway policemen that came across two young women broken down late at night, one decided that the cambelt on the car had snapped and it was stopping the pistons going up and down when his mate was turning the ignition key on, no mechanical knowledge at all cambelts nowt to do with the pistons moving up and down. This wally has now been promoted to a sergent as shown in the latest South Yorks Interceotor programs, god help us with dimwits like that on the force.

Seriously? I know nothing about quantum physics, but then its not my job to know anything about it, I support computer systems.

Is this police sergeant also a road side mechanic? Is he part of the RAC? (other break down recovery companies are available).

The main point is that the policeman stopped to assist to young (vulnerable) females in a broken down car. But its ok, lets focus on the fact that the policeman isnt mechanically minded, which last time I was aware, wasnt a requirement for joining the police force.

:rolleyes:

Archived