Police car pursuits- for safety or fun?

I was once stopped and robbed (fined) for not wearing a seat belt. The officer was quite patronising and explained how he was robbing me for my own benefit (yeah right). He struck me as being somewhat dishonest, deceitful and disingenuous.

I believe it should be totally up to the individual to do things that may potentially hurt (only) that individual. If the state is going to interfere and dictate what a person can and cannot do, under threat of fine or imprisonment, officers should have the decency to give an honest explanation as to why the state is stealing from people.

I was once stopped and robbed (fined) for not wearing a seat belt. The officer was quite patronising and explained how he was robbing me for my own benefit (yeah right). He struck me as being somewhat dishonest, deceitful and disingenuous.

I believe it should be totally up to the individual to do things that may potentially hurt (only) that individual. If the state is going to interfere and dictate what a person can and cannot do, under threat of fine or imprisonment, officers should have the decency to give an honest explanation as to why the state is stealing from people.

Surely that is more an issue with the law, rather than those who enforce it?

Surely that is more an issue with the law, rather than those who enforce it?

Well, it's both really. If the police are going to enforce such laws, at least have the integrity to be honest with people about it, not add insult to injury by pretending they're doing it (robbing people) for the benefit of the individual.

I imagine the thing with seat belts (and bike helmets and such like) is to do with keeping costs down for the NHS. The government are concerned with money, not the well-being of individuals; and it would be nice if they didn't pretend otherwise (but I won't be holding my breath).

Well, it's both really. If the police are going to enforce such laws, at least have the integrity to be honest with people about it, not add insult to injury by pretending they're doing it (robbing people) for the benefit of the individual.

I imagine the thing with seat belts (and bike helmets and such like) is to do with keeping costs down for the NHS. The government are concerned with money, not the well-being of individuals; and it would be nice if they didn't pretend otherwise (but I won't be holding my breath).

Agreed, I'm sure it is to do with keeping the costs down more than anything.

You have private medical insurance don't you ? Otherwise, I'd end up having to pay for your stupidity and as money's a bit tight at the moment I'd prefer to see your brains on the floor being swept up by a street-cleaner to be honest. I imagine they're a lot cheaper than a neuro-surgeon.

*edit*

Assuming you would do such a thing of course. Just saying :)

Agreed, I'm sure it is to do with keeping the costs down more than anything.

You have private medical insurance don't you ? Otherwise, I'd end up having to pay for your stupidity and as money's a bit tight at the moment I'd prefer to see your brains on the floor being swept up by a street-cleaner to be honest. I imagine they're a lot cheaper than a neuro-surgeon.

*edit*

Assuming you would do such a thing of course. Just saying :)

God yeah, it's always about money. Money and power is the only thing people care about; and if they tell you otherwise, it's a device or ploy to help them achieve their aim (of getting more money and power).

To answer your question; nope, I don't have private medical insurance...

However, I would be happy for them to do away with benefits and scrap the NHS altogether. Or have an opt-out facility (you don't make any financial contribution to the NHS, and don't get any benefit either; if you die, tuff).

But yeah, you possibly having to pay for my recklessness; I don't agree with that. Conversely, I don't want to pay for anyone else's (apart from my own) stupidity and recklessness.

They are also there to PROTECT and serve. I think your opinion would change if it was a loved one of yours that died purely because the police wanted to point out a minor misdemeanor.

Since we're adding new things. If a helmetless biker hit your loved one and drove off and the police saw it, would you want them to pursue the biker?

Since we're adding new things. If a helmetless biker hit your loved one and drove off and the police saw it, would you want them to pursue the biker?

Would him having a helmet or not, make any difference? Surely you'd want the cops to give chase, and break his legs (or arrest him).

So, you are saying, just cos he's not mechanical minded, he must be some sort of dimwit. And how does his lack of mechanical knowledge have anything to do with his promotion. I would understand if he was a mechanic and it was relevant.

A road traffic policeman is supposed to be educated in the mechanics of a motor vehicle, he has the authority to stop and check a vehicle for road worthiness. If he has lack of mechanical knowledge as you put it how can he have the authority to check your vehicle over for defects if he stops you.

Archived