Mick Philpott guilty of manslaughter

Aaarrrgh. A declining civilisation. Be scared.

Save us! Save us!

Or ... capital punishment doesn't work as a deterent, serves no purpose as rehabilitation, and the negative consequences of state-inflicted violence are much grander than any supposed advantages.

That's without mentioning any cost, for capital punishment is expensive; any miscarriage of justice, for you can't un-hang a man; and the problems of getting around EU law to bring the death penalty back.

The wife is a victim of his control. The girlfriend managed to get away. Sending the wife to prison for 'life' will serve no purpose other than satiating the 'mob'.

If you are right, then she has a defence. Just in case though I would make a condition of her freedom that she is sterilised.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 22:37 ----------

Aaarrrgh. A declining civilisation. Be scared.

Save us! Save us!

Or ... capital punishment doesn't work as a deterent, serves no purpose as rehabilitation, and the negative consequences of state-inflicted violence are much grander than any supposed advantages.

That's without mentioning any cost, for capital punishment is expensive; any miscarriage of justice, for you can't un-hang a man; and the problems of getting around EU law to bring the death penalty back.

There is relatively little murder, robbery etc in China, reason? They have the civic courage to properly protect thier population. Violent criminals are routinely executed. Therefore China is, compared to the UK comparatively safe. Capital punishment thereofore is aproven deterrent.

If you are right, then she has a defence. Just in case though I would make a condition of her freedom that she is sterilised.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 22:37 ----------

There is relatively little murder, robbery etc in China, reason? They have the civic courage to properly protect thier population. Violent criminals are routinely executed. Therefore China is, compared to the UK comparatively safe. Capital punishment thereofore is aproven deterrent.

But what about USA? Don't many states with the death penalty routinely electrocute or poison their guilty to death? Ha sthe death penalty deterred others in America

I saw news reports last night and the ITV programme and was horrified.The programme revealed so much of his repulsive nature.

Its frightening to think that young women,(and in one case a 14 year old girl ) could be attracted to such a grotesque depraved individual whose only real concern was to satisfy himself and control and manipulate other people in the process,carrying out angry cruel acts of revenge on anyone who rejected him, as illustrated by what was mentioned about his earlier life.

Were the ones who stuck to him for so long, so insecure about themselves that they felt that being that mans slave was an ideal way to live, feeling that having one child after another was the only way to feel they had a sense of worth.

Seeing those lovely children whose short lives ended so tragically was disturbing, the irony was they appeared happy in the clips that were shown and teachers and neighbours described them as such. Its all beyond understanding really.

Murder rates per capita are almost identical in the UK and in China.

So, what is your point?

Sending the wife to prison for 'life' will serve no purpose other than satiating the 'mob'.

I think it's very simple to think that because they were her children she should have done more to protect them. The reality is that over a long period of time she will have encountered abuse, violence, humiliation and fear.

People react almost instantly in a self preservation way if the threat is instant..this wretched womans ordeal has spanned over long period. I imagine..if it ever existed, that every bit of self worth, every bit of self respect was slowly and gradually extinguished. Reading a couple of these threads I've noticed observations by posters that she hardly speaks or interacts...fear doesn't disappear at the flick of a switch.

For me it isn't about the "crime" he committed..it's who he is as a person which is the crime to humanity..he opens the window to our own frailty, he reminds us of our capabilities as she reminds us of our own weaknesses, and there are so many showing that same weakness. Ironically they think it's a sign of strength to chop a hand off or castrate someone or simply sterilize them...I dread the future for my kids and grandchildren where fear, hate, lack of empathy and distrust are fought with the same.

Was just about to say..you have a soul until you got the last bit in.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 00:11 ----------

Do you understand the concept of a deterrent ? Do you even know what deterrent means?

Google time sonny...

I think it's very simple to think that because they were her children she should have done more to protect them. The reality is that over a long period of time she will have encountered abuse, violence, humiliation and fear.

People react almost instantly in a self preservation way if the threat is instant..this wretched womans ordeal has spanned over long period. I imagine..if it ever existed, that every bit of self worth, every bit of self respect was slowly and gradually extinguished. Reading a couple of these threads I've noticed observations by posters that she hardly speaks or interacts...fear doesn't disappear at the flick of a switch.

For me it isn't about the "crime" he committed..it's who he is as a person which is the crime to humanity..he opens the window to our own frailty, he reminds us of our capabilities as she reminds us of our own weaknesses, and there are so many showing that same weakness. Ironically they think it's a sign of strength to chop a hand off or castrate someone or simply sterilize them...I dread the future for my kids and grandchildren where fear, hate, lack of empathy and distrust are fought with the same.

Was just about to say..you have a soul until you got the last bit in.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 00:11 ----------

Do you understand the concept of a deterrent ? Do you even know what deterrent means?

Google time sonny...

Evocatively worded and truly insightful, I hope it makes an impression where it needs to most.

No, I suppose being daft and impressionable is no defence, and I think it's right she was tried and convicted, she did what she did. Still wonder if she'd not been under Philpott's influence her life would have been very different. Nothing can change the way things have turned out though.

Yeah, its sad but your bang on the money with that.

Lets just hope she dosent get too rough a time in prison.

Most of the anger and vitriol should be pointed directly at philpot.

Pure evil!!

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 09:56 ----------

Yep. Well known, those thousands years of order.

It's very rare that one finds someone who is nostalgic for the Normans. :)

What, even these Normans?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=norman+wisdom&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=ONh&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=FkBdUd_FOM2Y0QWK8ICoAQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1491&bih=886

But what about USA? Don't many states with the death penalty routinely electrocute or poison their guilty to death? Ha sthe death penalty deterred others in America

It obviously hasn't deterred all but it may have deterred some..how would we know?

Archived