Mick Philpott guilty of manslaughter

what about those who think that capital punishment means that someone who will never be rehabilitated

a) is not forced to live caged for their entire lives

Don't give a monkey's about that.

b) can never commit an offence again

I'm hoping Philpott will never be in a position to re-offend.

I just cant believe his previous attempted murder conviction was deemed to be not relevant to the manslaughter trial.

Because he had to be tried on the facts of the investigation not on the basis of his reputation.

Don't give a monkey's about that.

I'm hoping Philpott will never be in a position to re-offend.

I wasn't asking your opinion on their opinion, I just wonder who that argument was aimed at-it seems to be a lazy way of arguing against the death penalty by suggesting that everyone that thinks it should be used, is just after an extreme punishment.

That's why it's a crime.

Do keep up. You're usually a lot smarter than this.

I just don't see why an uncivilised man, leading an uncivilised life and performing uncivilised acts should be given a civilised punishment.

Lets face it, he's going to be protected in prison, a roof over his head, clean clothes, food, and plenty to occupy him since he'll be segregated.

what about those who think that capital punishment means that someone who will never be rehabilitated

a) is not forced to live caged for their entire lives

b) can never commit an offence again

which may be positive for both the perpetrator and potential victims?

You make an interesting philosophical point. If we are going to debate the harm inflicted upon the criminal by punitive measure and penal justice then, I imagine, it is impossible to find a solution that carries with it no measure of harm whatsoever.

If that is a given then, as a civilised society, we are left with striking a balance between least harmful and most effective - least harmful would be to do nothing - most effective would be capital punishment.

Whether or not you judge a lifetime's incarceration as more cruel that capital punishment is a value judgement, however, I cannot envisage a more effective balance than the system we currently have in place.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 14:33 ----------

I just don't see why an uncivilised man, leading an uncivilised life and performing uncivilised acts should be given a civilised punishment.

Lets face it, he's going to be protected in prison, a roof over his head, clean clothes, food, and plenty to occupy him since he'll be segregated.

Because we are civilised. It is precisely that which differentiates us from him.

Do you not think that a just and civilised society should strive to be better than its criminal element?

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 14:34 ----------

Well said ... The horror those children died in is unimaginable.

How is that well said? Nobody was suggesting it was civilised.

Archived