Mick Philpott guilty of manslaughter

Because it's a factor that affects the provision of sentencing and the effects it might have on the offender. It's plain daft to have a sentencing regime where all the possible effects of that sentencing and the options available aren't fully considered.

..and equally that view should be accommodated in the provisions for sentencing.

I don't think there are any 13 year olds who are subject to whole tariffs.

in the earlier section of this i think you have lost track.

the latter part was about someone in america. here it would not happen no.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 16:46 ----------

your method means punishment acts as no deterent to anyone considering something similar. Jail has three purposes - punishment, time to repent away from society and deterrent.

its not a method, i just think that the idea of punishing someone as much as possible is pretty sick. i dont think many murderers would be put off murdering by a jail sentence anyway as there is something wrong with them. you should either rehabilitate them or keep them locked up for good.

Im glad someone else said that.

I was thinking it for much of the time i watched the progs about them on tv last night.

I thought i was going soft in my old age.

You're not the only ones. Poor, stupid, bullied, downtrodden woman. Still guilty of the manslaughter of all her kids, but what a miserable existence of a life she's had. And now she'll have to live the rest of it (probably) in prison. Difficult to tell, as she neve seemed to speak on camera, but she doesn't seem to be mentally very capable?

You're not the only ones. Poor, stupid, bullied, downtrodden woman. Still guilty of the manslaughter of all her kids, but what a miserable existence of a life she's had. And now she'll have to live the rest of it (probably) in prison. Difficult to tell, as she neve seemed to speak on camera, but she doesn't seem to be mentally very capable?

I agree. But having said that i think the police or cps would have done a psych test to make sure. And if she wasnt mentally 100% capable her defence would have probably made something of it.

Obviously i feel for the kids but i cant help thinking theres 7 victims in all this.

That women is probably going to be vilified for ever and a day.

I agree. But having said that i think the police or cps would have done a psych test to make sure. And if she wasnt mentally 100% capable her defence would have probably made something of it.

Obviously i feel for the kids but i cant help thinking theres 7 victims in all this.

That women is probably going to be vilified for ever and a day.

No, I suppose being daft and impressionable is no defence, and I think it's right she was tried and convicted, she did what she did. Still wonder if she'd not been under Philpott's influence her life would have been very different. Nothing can change the way things have turned out though.

for the above example, neither murder, nor manslaughter, just a stupid mistake resulting in a tragic accident. However if that someone had come home and deliberately tried to lset things on fire for his personal benefit which resulted in tragedy then that would be different.

Outcome is still the same and, in the eyes of the law, it is manslaughter. In Philpott's case, it was never proved his intention was to murder his children (as would have been the case of someone turning on a frynig pan and then falling asleep, due to alcohol).

The intention, as proved or otherwise, would direct the judge to apply a certain punishment over another, but the end result is still manslaughter.

Outcome is still the same and, in the eyes of the law, it is manslaughter. In Philpott's case, it was never proved his intention was to murder his children (as would have been the case of someone turning on a frynig pan and then falling asleep, due to alcohol).

The intention, as proved or otherwise, would direct the judge to apply a certain punishment over another, but the end result is still manslaughter.

But falling asleep with the cooker on = accident, surely. It's very different to deliberatley starting a fire (with or without the intention of killing).

Top posting fishy_taste, couldn't have put it better myself.

We stopped hanging people in the 60s after a few mistakes were made. For thousands of years before that we knocked capital offenders off on a regular basis. A few mistakes no doubt were made but on balance it kept things in order.

Now we allow murderers out after short terms in Butlins style facilities.

Sheffield used to average a murder a year and all murders were detected up to about 1970. What is the average today? One a week?

I am sure you who excuse and tolerate this state of affairs are well meaning but in my opinion you are deluded.

Hang em high.

We stopped hanging people in the 60s after a few mistakes were made. For thousands of years before that we knocked capital offenders off on a regular basis. A few mistakes no doubt were made but on balance it kept things in order.

Yep. Well known, those thousands years of order.

It's very rare that one finds someone who is nostalgic for the Normans. :)

Sheffield used to average a murder a year and all murders were detected up to about 1970.

Source?

What is the average today? One a week?

Dunno. Let's make a reactionary figure up to frighten people and reinforce our point.

100 murders ... a day. Be scared people!!

Yep. Well known, those thousands years of order.

It's very rare that one finds someone who is nostalgic for the Normans. :)

Source?

Dunno. Let's make a reactionary figure up to frighten people and reinforce our point.

100 murders ... a day. Be scared people!!

The Normans could be a bit firm I agree, but thier was a bit of a language problem, but on balance I do miss them.

I havent "made up" any figures I "estimate" I am about right. BTW I dont want to frighten anybody, if you and those of your believes are prepared to let our civilisation continue to decline so be it.

The fact remains that one day, sooner or later draconian medicines will be needed to cure self inflicted draconian afflictions. Then no doubt you will stand by and winge while those prepared to administer the cure do thier thing.

Archived