Recommend good factual book?

I also eschew fiction in favour of well researched factual stuff. May I recommend 'Beer and Clothing in Skegvegas' by Alco S. Thompson?

This is a true fact filled story in which our two intrepid explorers travel to Skegness to take part in the 'Worther's Mint 500 Donkey Race'.

Without giving the game away too much, the two 'intrepid explorers' turn out to be none other than journalist Stephen Hawking, and his attorney Richard Dawkins.

The story delves into the minutiae of their every day life whilst preparing for the race, and the random gratuitous violence which ensues (mainly through their penchant for large amounts of mind altering Special Brew and Carlsberg Export). Not one for the squeamish, I hasten to add.

Here's what the Press had to say ...

'A seminal work by this up and coming, handsome young writer … a triumph!' (Sun)

'Four pages of fact-filled brilliance!' (Chigwell Echo)

'Another David Attenborough … astonishing insight into animal behaviour on the part of the author!' (Brighton Bugle)

'Gobsmacked!' (Pulitzer Prize Committee)

Sorry I know this is the writers section, but I thought whom better to give advice on books!

I read a lot, too much but hey. I only like to read factual books. In short I've hit a wall on finding a good book, so has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins.

Ian Duncan Smith-Down and out in Mayfair and Picadilly.

The story of one mans attempt to buy three square meals in this district in a single day with a mere £53.There are original menus and bills included as evidence.You may find the evening meal rather moving as the Quiet Man has to leave the table with neither the cheeseboard nor the coffee and After Eights,with just 33 pence left to tip the sedan chair carriers.

I also eschew fiction in favour of well researched factual stuff. May I recommend 'Beer and Clothing in Skegvegas' by Alco S. Thompson?

This is a true fact filled story in which our two intrepid explorers travel to Skegness to take part in the 'Worther's Mint 500 Donkey Race'.

Without giving the game away too much, the two 'intrepid explorers' turn out to be none other than journalist Stephen Hawking, and his attorney Richard Dawkins.

The story delves into the minutiae of their every day life whilst preparing for the race, and the random gratuitous violence which ensues (mainly through their penchant for large amounts of mind altering Special Brew and Carlsberg Export). Not one for the squeamish, I hasten to add.

Here's what the Press had to say ...

'A seminal work by this up and coming, handsome young writer … a triumph!' (Sun)

'Four pages of fact-filled brilliance!' (Chigwell Echo)

'Another David Attenborough … astonishing insight into animal behaviour on the part of the author!' (Brighton Bugle)

'Gobsmacked!' (Pulitzer Prize Committee)

In my humble opinion here we have two of the best posts ever to grace the forums of Sheffield. Laughed myself into a small blackout - congratulations chaps you have earned my eternal esteem.:thumbsup:

If you like history try anything by John Julius Norwich. I know it may sound a bit "dry" but "The Normans in the South" or the Byzantine trilogy are written for the ordinary reader not academics. Its a bit like going on a tour of the middle ages with the worlds best tour guide.

In my humble opinion here we have two of the best posts ever to grace the forums of Sheffield. Laughed myself into a small blackout - congratulations chaps you have earned my eternal esteem.:thumbsup:

Why, thank you Mr. m8634 ... very kind words indeed. I presume you must be a writer of non-fiction as well?

May I also recommend another great work of non-fiction that has fluttered off my mahogany and gold inlaid escritoire into the baying arms of drooling literary critics?

'The Budgie of the Bolehills' (by Sir Alco Coal-and-Oil) is a nine page masterpiece in which the brilliant detective, Shylock Gnomes, ably assisted by his companion, Dr. Flotsam, set off from 221b Springvale Road on Shylock's trusty old Harley-Davidson and sidecar to solve a heinous crime that has driven the good folk of Crookes to the very utmost edge of terror and despair.

A giant budgie causes terror to all those unfortunate enough to be walking the darkened, windswept moors of the Bolehills until our dynamic duo step in to resolve the mystery. Too many factual bits to mention here ... a story of unprecedented writing skills.

Why, thank you Mr. m8634 ... very kind words indeed. I presume you must be a writer of non-fiction as well?

May I also recommend another great work of non-fiction that has fluttered off my mahogany and gold inlaid escritoire into the baying arms of drooling literary critics?

'The Budgie of the Bolehills' (by Sir Alco Coal-and-Oil) is a nine page masterpiece in which the brilliant detective, Shylock Gnomes, ably assisted by his companion, Dr. Flotsam, set off from 221b Springvale Road on Shylock's trusty old Harley-Davidson and sidecar to solve a heinous crime that has driven the good folk of Crookes to the very utmost edge of terror and despair.

A giant budgie causes terror to all those unfortunate enough to be walking the darkened, windswept moors of the Bolehills until our dynamic duo step in to resolve the mystery. Too many factual bits to mention here ... a story of unprecedented writing skills.

I do appreciate a touch of the gothic.

Archived