E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

But you referred to a flawed report based on a massively discredited and no where near conclusive lab report, the product of political lobbying, not science.

The actual offending 'toxin' found in one of the samples made it's way into the flavouring, the chemical (diethylene glycol), is used in the drying process of tobacco - it's in most tobacco products but unlikely to be found in e-cigs.

You have been deluded, do more homework.

Ha.........beat me too it!

I'd be in favour of them banning e-cigarettes in public places.

I think it has the potential to encourage people to smoke by making smoking appear socially acceptable again.

The safety of e-cigarrettes is not the issue for me. I just think it's not good for children to see adult role models puffing away in public places on a cigarette, be it an e-cigarette or a real one.

I think it has the potential to encourage people to smoke by making smoking appear socially acceptable again.

The safety of e-cigarrettes is not the issue for me. I just think it's not good for children to see adult role models puffing away in public places on a cigarette, be it an e-cigarette or a real one.

THEY ARE HARMLESS!!!!

Who gives a monkeys toss what they look like!! (by the way, if you had done some research, you would find that the high end, reliable products, don't look anything like cigarettes!)

What a lame argument for banning them!!

Why do you think that?

Why would using a vapouriser, that looks nothing like a cigarette, encourage anyone to smoke?

(Any e-cig that looks like a cigarette cannot possibly have sufficient battery power/battery life to be usable long-term, which is why people who buy them invariably either give up on vaping, or, buy a proper model, which are much bigger than cigarettes, often black and, basically, could never be mistaken for a real cigarette).

If anything, seeing people vaping is only going to further make the point that smoking real cigarettes is rapidly going out of fashion.

THEY ARE HARMLESS!!!!

!

Not according to the US Food & Drug Administration.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm173222.htm

FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

So what makes you qualified to make such a pronouncement on their safety?

I bought a disposable ECig from Tesco almost a year ago & have never had a cigarette since. I used the ecigs for about 4 weeks before I didn't need then anymore.

The main differences for me between ecigs & all the Nicolette stuff well first these worked & 2nd the government don't get a nice generous tax donation from ECig sellers or their manufacturers.

My dr looked at what they contained & was fine not to mention that after years of nagging extremely happy I had stopped smoking

I'm more concerned about all the antibiotic resistant Superbugs waiting for us after decades of doctors giving them out for this that and everything, but then they like to blame us for going to the doctors when we are ill, sometimes people go because they really don't feel well and just want the doctor to confirm it's nowt serious. (FYI, haven't been to the doctor in over 10 years, so don't blame me)

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 22:32 ----------

Why do you think that?

Why would using a vapouriser, that looks nothing like a cigarette, encourage anyone to smoke?

(Any e-cig that looks like a cigarette cannot possibly have sufficient battery power/battery life to be usable long-term, which is why people who buy them invariably either give up on vaping, or, buy a proper model, which are much bigger than cigarettes, often black and, basically, could never be mistaken for a real cigarette).

If anything, seeing people vaping is only going to further make the point that smoking real cigarettes is rapidly going out of fashion.

Thanks for the tip:)

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

You didn't read the whole thread , did you?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/fetters1.1.1.html

The initial argument that the FDA produced after a brief study, was that Diethylene Glycol was a health risk, as it is commonly found in substances such as anti-freeze. What the FDA did here was consciously derail and sabotage the E-Cigarette through their tried and true fearmongering technique of big-worded misinformation.

Here is a part of the original FDA quote:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze."

Is DG (Diethylene Glycol) considered toxic? The answer is yes. But what the FDA failed to mention is that the tested E-Cigarette cartridges had about 1/10 the DG that can be found in aspirin, and about 1/40 the amount found in your typical tobacco cigarette. It can also be found in a variety of consumable products on the market that we use daily. It's actually not an ingredient in anti-freeze. It's an ingredient in coolants. They mixed that up with PG (Propylene Glycol) which is actually put into anti-freeze in order to make the anti-freeze child-safe and/or pet-safe.

Not that it really matters much. But DG is actually not a typical ingredient you find in E-Cigarettes. It is typically used as a humectant for tobacco products; which would explain its presence in one out of the 18 E-cig cartridges tested. The presence of Nicotine typically means you will also find DG. If you were to test real cigarettes for this chemical, you would find it in %100 of the tested cigarettes.

But, strangely, the FDA doesn't set an embargo on big tobacco.

DG and PG are actually considered "Safe for human consumption" in certain quantities by the FDA in several consumable products. To put it into perspective: You would have to consume around 12,000 E-cigarette cartridges loaded up with DG and PG within 24-hours in order to get yourself anywhere near toxic levels of DG/PG. Sounds pretty freaky until you find out that your average E-cigarette user will puff down 1.5 cartridges per day. The heavier puffers will inhale as many as 3

The real question here is why the FDA/BMA, and UK/US govts in general, wish to ban e-cigs, and, why they are willing to use invalid arguments and deception to do so.