E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

When you breath you exhale vapour, do you object to someone sitting next you breathing.

To break down the principle elements what the e-cig contains:-

Propylene Glycol: has been tested extensively since the 1940's and there is no doubt that this is a harmless chemical, a ubiquitous chemical found in everything from the computer you are using now to the toothpaste you used to clean you teeth this morning.

Nicotine: A highly addictive stimulant though no more harmful to your health than caffeine in tea or coffee.

Flavourings: Concentrated extracts taken from fruit and other desirably flavoured items by heating up in alcohol and filtering from the solids just like many food flavourings.

Which bit is going to ruin my health?

I like a few others on here use the tank system,i mix my own liquid using the three ingredients you have mentioned,like you say whats gunna harm you and me ,answer nothing.

You've provided no evidence that there is a medical opinion about them, or that if there was it would be related to the airline ban at all.

What are you if not an armchair expert commenting on why the airlines have banned them? You certainly don't have any evidence that it's for medical reasons. As far as I can tell you're just making things up and refusing the validate them with any evidence.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 13:29 ----------

Going back to your first post on the topic.

Is there any evidence that medical advice was involved in the banning of e-cigs from planes?

That's all I wanted to know, what you were actually referring to.

Did you not read the US. Dpt. of Transport's ruling on the banning of e cigs on planes? It was quite explicit on the possible dangers of nicotine vapors in a confined space like an airplane. The US Navy has also banned them below decks on submarines for the same reason, until some tests confirm they are not dangerous. But perhaps your degree in navvying tells you better.

Dont know why everyones kicking up a fuss, most airlines in this country have NEVER allowed e-cigs.

Thats why I always have a supply of nicorette inhalers in my hand luggage.

How could they ban something that didn't exist? It was only when folk started using them on flights that someone thought to form a policy.

I think Monarch & Easy Jet were the first in around 2007/8

Did you not read the US. Dpt. of Transport's ruling on the banning of e cigs on planes? It was quite explicit on the possible dangers of nicotine vapors in a confined space like an airplane. The US Navy has also banned them below decks on submarines for the same reason, until some tests confirm they are not dangerous. But perhaps your degree in navvying tells you better.

No, what I did was ask for some evidence. You're the first who's actually mentioned any...

If you had a link that would be even better.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 17:07 ----------

If you smoked these and you heard about a serious quality issue would you carry on smoking them ?

Is that related to whether there was medical advice given that resulted in a ban, because that's what I wanted to know.

I dont know about E-cigs but it's time that the airlines made adults traveling with very young kids sit in a separate part of the aircraft away from the rest of us who dont want long trips made worse by some kid kicking the back of our seats and squawling their heads off while we try to grab a few hours nap.

We pay a lot for an airline ticket these days, even for so called economy class and it's time that the rights of all of us are recognized.

Edited by Harleyman

How could they ban something that didn't exist? It was only when folk started using them on flights that someone thought to form a policy.

I think Monarch & Easy Jet were the first in around 2007/8

These are the 2 airlines I use to fly to Turkey, when I first heard of e-cigs, I asked if they were allowed and both said no.

It doesnt matter if they banned them when they first came out, or if it was when someone started using them on a flight, they are still banned..

No, what I did was ask for some evidence. You're the first who's actually mentioned any...

If you had a link that would be even better.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 17:07 ----------

Is that related to whether there was medical advice given that resulted in a ban, because that's what I wanted to know.

Refer to a link in post #15 used by cgksheff. It is a direct issue from the USDOT on the reasons given for a ban on e cigs. It only says that the reason for the ban is that nicotine bearing vapors are emitted by these cigarettes, and there is no clear evidence that they are not harmful, so basically better safe than sorry seems to be the idea. If you were as familiar with that bunch of grannys as I was you would not be surprised. Every racing cyclist in the world has to ride with a helmet because the US said they had to. So now its e cigs. Sorry folks.