E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

The only long term effect of me using an e-cig as opposed to smoking cigarettes is that my teeth are turning alarmingly from their lovely brown colour, to a much more unappealing whitish hue. Fortunately, the massive amounts of black coffee I get through are keeping total whiteness at bay for the mean time. ;)

Apart from that, there's nothing dangerous about e-cigs.

Or so you believe. You cannot say for certain though, can you?!

They (e-cigs, although I hate that name, it sounds so naff) might be safe, but many years ago we thought that smoking was safe, beneficial even. Until they are rigorously tested, some organisations are erring on the side of caution. You can't use them on the bus either.

Stop being naive.The only reason E cigs are being dummed down is because the goverment arnt getting their cut,but they will and when they are doing,they will be safe enough to sell,but of course the prices will have rocketted.

Stop being naive.The only reason E cigs are being dummed down is because the goverment arnt getting their cut,but they will and when they are doing,they will be safe enough to sell,but of course the prices will have rocketted.

Thats exactly it:thumbsup:

With people in a justice system, an admirable principle.

With a drug that's being sold to make a profit, not such a good idea.

I'm pretty sure there's been quite a bit of research so far as nicotine goes, and in any case, name me a drug that's sold for a loss. ;)

But have a nuanced view that I would imagine ECITA would endorse:

Summary

• Electronic cigarettes are not cigarettes. They do not contain tobacco and using them is not smoking.
  • ASH, in line with the NICE guidance on Tobacco Harm Reduction, always recommends that quitting all forms of nicotine use is the best option for smokers.
  • However, for those who remain addicted to nicotine NICE guidance recommends the use of medicinally licensed nicotine containing products as an alternative to smoking or to cut down or for temporary abstinence to help reduce the harms of smoking.
  • NICE guidance cannot recommend the use of unlicensed nicotine containing products but many smokers are finding unlicensed electronic cigarettes helpful.
  • Research by ASH shows that their use has grown threefold in the last two years from 700,000 to 2.1 million users.
  • Electronic cigarettes are proving more attractive to smokers than NRT while providing them with a safer alternative to cigarettes.
  • There is evidence that they can be effective in helping smokers’ quit and little evidence that they are being used by never smokers.
  • The number of children and young people regularly using electronic cigarettes remains very low and their use is almost entirely amongst those who are current or ex-smokers.
  • This is a similar pattern to that found in jurisdictions such as the USA.
  • ASH supports enhanced regulation to ensure the safety and reliability of electronic cigarettes and to prevent their promotion to non-smokers and children.However, in the absence of evidence of significant harm to bystanders, ASH does not support the inclusion of electronic cigarettes in smoke free laws which would completely prohibit their use in enclosed public places