A new class system which one do you belong to.

I once had a telly shop on Bellhouse road a few years ago and we had this guy who used to come in the shop on a regular basis buying and selling things, he had a right lardy dar accent,we used to call him the flight officer as he had a big mustache and always wore a smart suite and a monocle in his eye,he would say how are you today dear boy everything tickety boo what, he was a real character he always reminded me of that lord con man in fawlty towers,we were sat in the shop one day when two plain clothed coppers came in asking for me by name,I can't remember his name off hand now but the coppers said to me what is your connection to this man as your name has come up a lot of times in crimes this man has committed,this copper pulled some pictures out of his coat pocket and there was this flight officer sat on a bed in his pants with a big cigar in his mouth with a couple of scantily dressed dolly birds next to him, spread out on the bed was loads and loads of cash and credit cards all over the place,turns out he was a right con man who the coppers had been chasing for years he had actually kept an inventory of all the money and dealings he had for years who he payed out where he had bought things and pitched things from, thats were the coppers got my name from,the coppers said that he was actually ex RAF and he had been booted out of the RAF for fiddling years ago.

I've just completed the BBC's class calculator and the class group I most closely match is "emergent service worker".

"Emergent service workers

This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young

Enjoy a cultured social life

Rent their home - almost 90%"

The other class groups are:

Elite.

Established middle class.

Technical middle class.

New affluent workers.

Traditional working class.

Precariat.

Which are you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

I've just completed the BBC's class calculator and the class group I most closely match is "emergent service worker".

"Emergent service workers

This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young

Enjoy a cultured social life

Rent their home - almost 90%"

The other class groups are:

Elite.

Established middle class.

Technical middle class.

New affluent workers.

Traditional working class.

Precariat.

Which are you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

I was too but I was unsure about our combined income after tax. It will be around 50k. When I switched to above 50k it moved me to technical middle class which I think is probably more appropriate although there is very little difference between the two according to the descriptions:huh:

Its about as pointless as the old system I think:hihi:

edit: Actually the general descriptions are different to the one you are given at the end of the test. So those two classes are not that similar and technical middle class is much more likely!

I was too but I was unsure about our combined income after tax. It will be around 50k. When I switched to above 50k it moved me to technical middle class which I think is probably more appropriate although there is very little difference between the two according to the descriptions:huh:

Its about as pointless as the old system I think:hihi:

edit: Actually the general descriptions are different to the one you are given at the end of the test. So those two classes are not that similar and technical middle class is much more likely!

I agree as it seems to be more about money than anything else, and money alone is certainly no indicator of class.

We're a retired couple. When I entered our details with our current income (pensions) we come out in one category. When I changed it to reflect our income before we retired, it comes out as a different one.

I agree as it seems to be more about money than anything else, and money alone is certainly no indicator of class.

We're a retired couple. When I entered our details with our current income (pensions) we come out in one category. When I changed it to reflect our income before we retired, it comes out as a different one.

Did you try the fuller version in post 68?

I did and my conclusion was entirely the opposite, that there were lots of questions about taste in music, hobbies etc which are subjective and can change overtime.

There were some useful questions such as what class do you think you belong to, what occupation did the main breadwinner do, your education and savings, attitudes to class etc.

I also think too much emphasis is placed on the division of people between lets say established middle class and technical middle class, and perhaps the precariat, traditional working class and new affluent workers.

I was reading somewhere that the majority of us are only 3 or 4 paycheques away from the gutter anyway, so the person's preference of traditional Thai dinners over fast food is totally irrelevant!

Archived