A new class system which one do you belong to.

I took the test again today, this time changing only the first rental option for the home I had a mortgage on a couple of years back and went from "Emergent service workers" to "Technical middle class", which just goes to show this country's obsession with home ownership.

I took the test again today, this time changing only the first rental option for the home I had a mortgage on a couple of years back and went from "Emergent service workers" to "Technical middle class", which just goes to show this country's obsession with home ownership.

I came out as a recent immigrant,likely to merge with the insecure underclass.

Did you try the fuller version in post 68?

I did and my conclusion was entirely the opposite, that there were lots of questions about taste in music, hobbies etc which are subjective and can change overtime.

There were some useful questions such as what class do you think you belong to, what occupation did the main breadwinner do, your education and savings, attitudes to class etc.

I also think too much emphasis is placed on the division of people between lets say established middle class and technical middle class, and perhaps the precariat, traditional working class and new affluent workers.

I was reading somewhere that the majority of us are only 3 or 4 paycheques away from the gutter anyway, so the person's preference of traditional Thai dinners over fast food is totally irrelevant!

The more complete test didn't actually give an answer though. It gave scores for the 3 sections, but no class at the end.

• 8 months later...

This quote is from another topic http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1256855 and we are moving here to not get too much of topic on the other topic

Whether you compare yourself with others or not, given the data I could 'classify' you.

You're still confused though about "upper", "middle" and "working" actually being value judgements. Being middle class doesn't make me better or worse or higher or lower than anyone else, that's simply not what it means.

There are plenty of existing threads on class if you want to resurrect one to continue the discussion.

My confusion stops when realising that on my own there is nobody present to classify myself with.

When others are present the classes are only activated when I choose to see myself as something higher or lower than the other. I have the choise to classify or not classify myself and others.

Many people are not aware of this and intensely believe they are some sort of class higher or lower while they could leave this separation process behind.

Call someone poor, call someone rich, or mention the quantity or lack of education or health.

Be more or less educated or rich than others, you can use it as a point system to put someone else and yourself in a class system like you try to mention.

I acknowledge you are separating individuals in classes and also really believe in these separations. It is difficult to understand or see your freedom from any class whatsoever when you are programmed to think all your live you and others belong to a class.

After all those years seeing things the way you are educated to see classes there is no need to get upset when realising it was all an illusion in the first place.

You're still convinced that class is about being higher or lower, better or worse. It isn't.

Nor does it separate people in any way except by arbitrary groupings.

It neither makes you free, nor takes freedom away, it does nothing at all, except provide a convenient short hand to talk about a group of similar people.

You're still convinced that class is about being higher or lower, better or worse. It isn't.

Nor does it separate people in any way except by arbitrary groupings.

It neither makes you free, nor takes freedom away, it does nothing at all, except provide a convenient short hand to talk about a group of similar people.

Cyclone

Thank you for moving from the tram ticket topic and continue the conversation in a topic that applies to the class system.

What you are saying here is true regarding the issue of freedom and I fully agree with you if someone only uses it as a practical verbal label to describe the financial educational and family background status it is harmless.

Sorry about being so intense about it. Having lived in other places it really does appear as if it has become some sort of English way that is not only used as a description of a group. But also insulting a group or making a group superior.

I have read some interesting things from top psychologist on classes during our conversation, there is some really interesting material about how middle class system is used to keep the working under control and make them feel satisfied.

I want to apologise, I now regret my personal tone of voice has been very intense in this conversation while we both have made a good point of different ways to interpret the matter.

The distinction between working and middle class isn't really about the need to work of course. There are very few people in any class that don't need to work (unless they've reached retirement.

I've not been offended, no need to apologise for anything.

Archived