A new class system which one do you belong to.

You see them in John Lewis all talking posh to their kids and paying with the credit card,talk posh no dosh.The times they have said to me after i have completed the work,can I give you a post dated check they never ask before they seem to think that we dont eat and can live on fresh air.

What we used to call 'all fur coat and no knickers' :hihi:

But simply because people choose to rent rather than buy, so they're not working all the hours god sends to pay off a mortgage - and having spare cash & time to do things that they enjoy doing - doesn't signify much in terms of the over all class structure.

Emergent service workers

This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young

Enjoy a cultured social life

Rent their home - almost 90%

Looks about right for me, I struggle financially, love my social life, and rent where I live...

What we used to call 'all fur coat and no knickers' :hihi:

because people choose to rent rather than buy, so they're not working all the hours god sends to pay off a mortgage - and having spare cash & time to do things that they enjoy doing - doesn't signify much in terms of the over all class structure.

They're are people who don't own property???? Don't have to pay a mortgage? Who are these hoodlums? Do the police know hobos like this exist? Well, this explains why the countries going to the dogs then with increased crime everywhere. If people don't have a mortgage to pay, they're out getting drunk and causing trouble. The devil makes work for idle hands. Well now I understand. Worrying times.

In today's society there seems one major thing that defines class, WEALTH.

Therefore the definitive question is no so much which class are you, but whether you are a property owner or not.

Today's youth are going to find it almost impossible to purchase property like their parents. I thought life was about progression.

Property is a strange way to judge peoples class, I own my house have done for years its a cheap house in a cheap area,I like the house its got lots of land to it and lots of room, just not the best area in the city to live I guess,if I sold up and sold everything I've got I would not get the same amount of house I have now if I wanted to move to a snobby area of the city,I probably wouldn't fit in with the neighbourhood anyway don't think they would like all my old cars and vans all over the place.:hihi:

Elite

22%

Very high economic capital (especially savings), high social capital, very high highbrow cultural capital

Established middle class

43%

High economic capital, high status of mean contacts, high highbrow and emerging cultural capital

Technical middle class

10%

High economic capital, very high mean social contacts, but relatively few contacts reported, moderate cultural capital

New affluent workers

6%

Moderately good economic capital, moderately poor mean score of social contacts, though high range, moderate highbrow but good emerging cultural capital

Traditional working class

2%

Moderately poor economic capital, though with reasonable house price, few social contacts, low highbrow and emerging cultural capital

Emergent service workers

17%

Moderately poor economic capital, though with reasonable household income, moderate social contacts, high emerging (but low highbrow) cultural capital

Precariat

<1%

Poor economic capital, and the lowest scores on every other criterion

New affluent workers

This class group is sociable, has lots of cultural interests and is in the middle of all the class groups in terms of wealth. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young

Come from a working class background

Own their own home

Today's youth are going to find it almost impossible to purchase property like their parents. I thought life was about progression.

Today's youth don't aspire to property ownership. They want the lifestyle and the look of those in The Only Way Is Essex. They've not really thought past that.

Today's youth don't aspire to property ownership. They want the lifestyle and the look of those in The Only Way Is Essex. They've not really thought past that.

Do they not, all the young people I know would love to buy their own home.

Archived