Is this a "psychic" scam?

Has anyone else received a letter recently saying that someone has been "psychically" in touch with you, discovered that something is missing in your life, and has decided to give you a present and £10,000 !!???

OK it's almost certainly a scam but I haven't seen this one before, and there's no premium rate telephone number.

It seems a very personal approach which could get through to vulnerable people; just wondered if others have been sent these?

I've had them on an off for about 3 years now

sometimes the photo is of a woman with mousey brown shoulder length curly hair about in her 40's and another i've had was a woman who looked to be in her 50's with short dark hair...

the letters were basically the same... I just bin them! :D

They usually ask for £9.99 or something to cover administration costs!

I once received a letter, from a so called phychic saying she could see that my future wasn't going to be too 'lucky' for me and that bad things would happen to me, but if I sent her some some money (I forget how much) she in return would ward of the bad luck and send me a lucky charm to protect me. If i didn't then she couldn't help improve my good luck and fortune and that the bads things would still happen to me.

Well obviously I binned the letter but some nieve person this could be really frightening.

Needless to say the 'bad things' haven't happened.... as of yet anyway.

Thanks for the various responses. None of them sound exactly the same so it is interesting that there's no obvious pattern. Obviously 'preying' on individuals by name is easy and they only need one or two to respond... it's tempting to answer...

I once entered a free lotto thing online and won. They sent me all the codes, everything looked very formal and realistic, so when I got to the bit about filling in the form to receive my winning (quarter for a million), I filled it all in.

I filled in any details that didn't give me away, but where it said 'bank details' and asked for my bank account number etc. I thought 'ha! I'll show you I'm not stupid!' and wrote:

'Please address cheque to Charlotte Bennett and send to above address.'

Well, I sent it off to the the theiving swines, and didn't hear anything for ages then one day I received my letter. They had sent it back!

I just wish I'd been there to see it, I take pleasure in thinking that they were really miffed :hihi:

Archived