I read the Daily Mail today. Gobsmacked.

Am I right in saying the studies were from information gathered around 40 years ago ?

And I don't agree or disagree with the findings , I agree with the last part :hihi:

Does the Mail speak the truth or not?

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 01:44 ----------

Only if you let it work

Good point, some are intelligent enough to resist, but it is terrifyingly efficacious nonetheless.

With that in mind, I refer you back to the question - Does the Mail speak the truth or not?

Do you not think therefore that we should be investing more in high tech jobs? Rather than rely on cheapskate exploiters and sweatshop labour

My opinion is that governments of both colours over the last 30 years have done far to little, rather rely on the free market.

I think we already do, and who will make the cheap tat that people want if we don't buy it from abroad.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 07:12 ----------

Such as?

Why?

Tills are already rapidly becoming automated and if the price of products increases as wages do (which is why? we are importing the vast majority of what we sell so why should wage increase in the UK increase the cost of imported goods?) why would that lead to fewer sales and fewer employees? that might be an argument if we produced a lot of bulk items where the over riding cost of manufacture is wages but that simply isn't the case. Our big earners are the likes of the financial services sector who receive massive pay and are still in demand the world over.

Because the people importing them, distributing them and selling them will be on an higher wage, ergo company costs increase so prices increase.

If you made the minimum wage £10 an hour all that would happen is inflation would rise and wipe out the wage increase.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 07:16 ----------

But you are the one who consistently argues for protectionism in the employment market.

If we do that, we can set the minimum wage where we like.

What could possibly go wrong?

I have never argued for protectionism but that doesn't alter the fact that in a global market you have to compete with billions of other works in other countries.

I’m quite happy buying products made in other countries.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 07:19 ----------

The most popular take away is fish & chips but that doesn't mean it's good for you.

Fish and chips are very good for you. :)

Science proves fish and chips 'healthier than you think'

Scientific tests in a laboratory have revealed a portion of fish chips and peas from a Barnsley chippie is 93.2 per cent fat free.

I think Boyfriday as been reading the wrong paper.

One portion of fish and chips a week could increase your risk of heart attack by 50%

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002476/A-portion-fish-chips-week-increase-risk-heart-attack-50.html#ixzz2PZF4yZga

And what makes you assume those "gullible readers" don't read publications with alternative opinions.

Stop trying to dictate what you believe others shouldn't read.

Like you, I sometimes read the DM. Its got great sudoku puzzles, and the Saturday TV mag is the best one I've found. I also read the Metro and the Guardian. Sometimes I buy a paper, sometimes I read them online. Some of the articles in the DM are well written, some are completely over the top spewings of hate. On the other hand, some of the stuff I read in the Guardian doesn't exactly tell it as it is. :roll:

There's an assumption that we all believe and agree with everything that's printed, some of us can and do make our own minds up.

Fish and chips are very good for you. :)

Science proves fish and chips 'healthier than you think'

Scientific tests in a laboratory have revealed a portion of fish chips and peas from a Barnsley chippie is 93.2 per cent fat free.

Haha..I know this chippy, it's excellent and they do gluten free, so I aint going to knock 'em! :thumbsup:

I think Boyfriday as been reading the wrong paper.

I wouldn't even eat my chips out of the Daily Mail ;)

I read some of the papers online whilst having breakfast of a morning.

However, I still buy the Daily Mail purely for the cryptic crossword, which is excellent.

The giant cryptic crossword on Saturdays is great fun and easily worth the 90p for the 'paper' ... some good recipes too! The rest of the paper is neither here nor there. :)

If the Daily Mail is so evil, why is it the second most popular newspaper only behind The Sun ? Is it because it speaks the truth ?

Maybe it's because people cannot be trusted sometimes, they voted in Hitler and made Coldplay popular. :hihi:

Just recieved on my Facebook page a picture of the front page of the Daily Mail in 1938.

It boasts about getting Eastern European Jewish aliens deported back to europe as illegal immigrants.

Seems the same sort of stories they publish 75 years later.

Archived