I read the Daily Mail today. Gobsmacked.

I don't know a great deal about Denmark, but was interested enough to have a quick check of some information. From what I gathered Denmark compares favourably to UK with regards to PPP (a bit like GDP per head, but takes into account cost of living and rate of inflation) on 3 different lists. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita)

But it's strange that you quoted Denmark's high level of poverty as evidence, yet on the thread about IDS living on £53 per week you scoffed at the idea that people in UK on this amount were poor. :loopy:

Depends where you look for your stats..cost of living in Denmark is 50% higher than the UK on this site

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/currency-value

I don't know a great deal about Denmark, but was interested enough to have a quick check of some information. From what I gathered Denmark compares favourably to UK with regards to PPP (a bit like GDP per head, but takes into account cost of living and rate of inflation) on 3 different lists. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita)

But it's strange that you quoted Denmark's high level of poverty as evidence, yet on the thread about IDS living on £53 per week you scoffed at the idea that people in UK on this amount were poor. :loopy:

I was under the impression you was claiming that a higher minimum wage would rid us of poverty, I simply posted that to show that is doesn't. Like you say they don’t appear to be any better off than use despite having such a higher minimum wage.

Inconsistency is his middle name you know.

Like you, I sometimes read the DM. Its got great sudoku puzzles, and the Saturday TV mag is the best one I've found. I also read the Metro and the Guardian. Sometimes I buy a paper, sometimes I read them online. Some of the articles in the DM are well written, some are completely over the top spewings of hate. On the other hand, some of the stuff I read in the Guardian doesn't exactly tell it as it is. :roll:

There's an assumption that we all believe and agree with everything that's printed, some of us can and do make our own minds up.

Its an insult to make that assumption of all DM readers, I've been reading it on and off for years and I haven't turned into a right wing bigot yet.

I try to look at all reading material with a critical eye, better to do that then have a black and white view of everything and be unaware of all manner of opinion.

I was under the impression you was claiming that a higher minimum wage would rid us of poverty, I simply posted that to show that is doesn't. Like you say they don’t appear to be any better off than use despite having such a higher minimum wage.

No that was the discussion you were having with evildrneil - but I agree that work is one of the best ways out of poverty.

But you see my point - surely you can't use Denmark's level of poverty to justify your argument, then in a different context claim that people on £53 per week should count themselves lucky. It feels like you want your cake and eat it as well. Much like the argument that bosses are too poor to pay the minimum wage, yet they are rich enough to belong to the richest 10% of the population

No that was the discussion you were having with evildrneil - but I agree that work is one of the best ways out of poverty.

But you see my point - surely you can't use Denmark's level of poverty to justify your argument, then in a different context claim that people on £53 per week should count themselves lucky. It feels like you want your cake and eat it as well. Much like the argument that bosses are too poor to pay the minimum wage, yet they are rich enough to belong to the richest 10% of the population

I didn't, I used it to show that despite Demark having a higher minimum wage they still have poverty, that doesn't alter the fact that people in poverty in Demark or the UK are significantly better off than half the humans on the planet, so people in poverty here should consider themselves lucky that they aren’t in poverty in Africa.

That's one of the funniest things I've read on here in ages. I think I might even add a smiley thing.:hihi:

It could almost be the lyrics to a terrible song, couldn't it?

Altogether now!

Personally I'd hang him!

Personally I'd hang him!

Personally I'd haaaaaaaaang...

HIM!

so people in poverty here should consider themselves lucky that they aren’t in poverty in Africa.

A "could be worse" argument.

People in Africa could be dead, so they should consider themselves lucky that they're just hungry and ravaged by war.

Archived