I read the Daily Mail today. Gobsmacked.

Ah the usual 'I don't read the DM' but I just have brigade ...... so you don't agree with the way the DM demonises the welfare culture, and all those posters using their own kind of logic as to why he has killed his children, but don't actually know ... well I never :suspect:

It wasn't the system of handouts that made Phillpott into a killer. But it was certainly the reason he based his life around producing endless kids and his determination to gain custody of those of his ex-mistress.

One explanation of his behaviour is that ensuring his partners were perpetually pregnant was a way of controlling them. It made sure they were in a constantly vulnerable state. It's a form of domestic abuse. It's also reported that to exert further control he continually reminded them that he had stabbed a previous partner almost to death in 1978. The welfare system didn't make him into an evil dangerous man. The welfare system provided an avenue for him to exploit.

Ah the usual 'I don't read the DM' but I just have brigade ...... so you don't agree with the way the DM demonises the welfare culture, and all those posters using their own kind of logic as to why he has killed his children, but don't actually know ... well I never :suspect:

No of course not. Is it something you approve of Michael?

One explanation of his behaviour is that ensuring his partners were perpetually pregnant was a way of controlling them. It made sure they were in a constantly vulnerable state. It's a form of domestic abuse. It's also reported that to exert further control he continually reminded them that he had stabbed a previous partner almost to death in 1978. The welfare system didn't make him into an evil dangerous man. The welfare system provided an avenue for him to exploit.

How the hell do you know that, you know nothing about the man other than what you have read :confused:

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 12:15 ----------

No of course not. Is it something you approve of Michael?

Is it something you approve of halibut ?

How the hell do you know that, you know nothing about the man other than what you have read :confused:

Get real Michael - how could the welfare system make him dangerous and evil?

It's an absurd notion from the outset.

I started the thread and I can categorically tell you that I don't read it. I read it yesterday for the first time in years.

What I read yesterday was a complete disgrace. There was a kind of opinion piece by somebody called A.N. Wilson. He seemed to suggest after a couple of pages of claptrap that if Mick Philpott had been in work for the last twenty years he would have somehow been a better man. Wrong, he would still have been a dangerous controlling deranged person. He had already attempted to kill a woman in 1978.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 12:15 ----------

Is it something you approve of halibut ?

He had already tried to kill a woman in 1978. The judge at his trial described him as being dangerous. That's how I know.

Get real Michael - how could the welfare system make him dangerous and evil?

It's an absurd notion from the outset.

Indeed.

I'm shocked how many people think that claiming welfare created an evil monster. Also shocked how many people think Mick Philpott is a typical welfare claimant - they obviously forget about the millions of pension claimants, claimants of disability welfare, housing benefits etc... It's a terrifying thought for them I guess, all those pensioners and housing benefits claimants being moulded into evil monsters by the welfare system.

In another time he'd still have been feckless and irresponsible, but would have been pickpocketing or holding up mailcoaches.
It was probably one of his ancestors that started the Great Fire of London.

Archived