Old Queens Head - Pond Street

celt

I have been with my dog and I must say I like how they ripped out the beams from the really old part - did the ghost go with them too ?

All structural changes has been made in 1993 when has been made main renovations (nearly half of the building has been down). Now we have done just interior changes - wall decoration, new furniture, carpets, lights, more open bar etc. It looks fresh and light and I think we managed to spoil oldest part with new extension.

You can find some pictures from 1993 renovation on Picture sheffield

About ghost...we hadn't pleasure to meet them yet, but previews couple from management company and most of the regular customer are saying that they are still here, so you never know if you are drinking your pint alone... ;)

this was the first ever pub i bought myself a pint in (ahem was 16yrs old at the time lol!) and still remember it to this day.

used to be full of afternoon drinkers for the cheap lager, so stopped going in a long while back when the food quality dropped off. might well give it a try again now.

All structural changes has been made in 1993 when has been made main renovations (nearly half of the building has been down). Now we have done just interior changes - wall decoration, new furniture, carpets, lights, more open bar etc. It looks fresh and light and I think we managed to spoil oldest part with new extension.

You can find some pictures from 1993 renovation on Picture sheffield

About ghost...we hadn't pleasure to meet them yet, but previews couple from management company and most of the regular customer are saying that they are still here, so you never know if you are drinking your pint alone... ;)

I've encountered the ghost when my sister was relief managing the queens head (pre 93) Aside from glasses moving about when our back was turned. We closed up one night turning everything off except the tap lights and went out for a late drink in a club. Came back and all the lights were on and the doors in the upstairs living had all been opened. I only stayed the one night ;)

I popped in yesterday, for a pint while waiting for 15:30 bus. It became 3 pints (all excellent) and the 17:05 bus!

Really sorry, I hope it wasn't that big problem. ;)

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 10:11 ----------

this was the first ever pub i bought myself a pint in (ahem was 16yrs old at the time lol!) and still remember it to this day.

used to be full of afternoon drinkers for the cheap lager, so stopped going in a long while back when the food quality dropped off. might well give it a try again now.

Food quality is definitely better based on feedbacks from customers, come and try anytime.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 10:25 ----------

I've encountered the ghost when my sister was relief managing the queens head (pre 93) Aside from glasses moving about when our back was turned. We closed up one night turning everything off except the tap lights and went out for a late drink in a club. Came back and all the lights were on and the doors in the upstairs living had all been opened. I only stayed the one night ;)

We had couple of investigations over night and they confirmed that building has to be haunted. Last time when started some strange activity around the fireplace they decide to leave for their safety... :cool:

Visited Queens Head for ad hoc Friends of Sheffield Castle/Manor Lodge/Bishops house etc event, and realised that I must make an effort to visit here more often - Looking forward to trying out new menu, and especially Czech dishes! Also will recommend to friends etc.

LOVE LOVE LOVE The Queens Head & adore Suzannah & her partner. Sorry , Iv just got a bit distracted cos a massive spider has just walked on my carpet & I don't do spiders. Any way , Yes the Queens Head has many ghosts including the Civil war soldiers. My Great Grandma used to play the piano there

any chance of budvar on tap? whats the czech perspective on the best "mainstream" czech beer? i like the taste of budvar best, and the fact that it is not owned by a multinational, but maybe pilsner urquell is preferred in CZ?

In CZ is preferred different type of beer, more like bitters - alc. about 3.8% (Gambrinus, Staropramen, Velkopopovicky Kozel, Krusovice etc.), but from lagers is Pilsner Urquell first. Budvar has been always more for export then for domestic beer lovers...

We could have Pilsner Urquell or Staropramen lager (different from one which is served in CZ) - and I have decided for Pilsner Urquell as the first pilsner type of the beer on the world - taste is more as beers in CZ.

Archived