Drummers of Sheffield!

AngryDog

I have a question if I may, something thats been on my mind for eons!

When you started drumming, did it come natural to you, or did you have to really work at it?

Reason I ask is because of the left hand / left foot and right hand / right foot combo. I always struggle to separate them when just trying to tap out on a desk or something to a song.

If you had issues with the coordination, how did you over come them?

Thanks for your input :)

Try and have a few lessons at the start to learn the basics. Then, like the above poster says, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Saying that, I haven't really played for a couple of years so I'm hoping its also like riding a bike.......

angry dog are you wanting to join a band..we need a drummer for our sheffield band?

If I could play the drums then I'd of considered it, but this was more just a question to see how people over came the co-ordination difficulties.

I agree, practice... Start with simple grooves, at a slow tempo, then when you master them to perfection, speed up... Then practice a more complex pattern, again, slow at first.

Having lessone will definatelly help...

I only ever came across one person who couldn't get it. I can get most people playing a basic rock beat within ten minutes. The rest is down to practice. I am right-handed and left-footed, which causes the odd issue. I wonder how much better by bass pedal technique would be on my better foot.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the above..practice doesn't necessarily make perfect, but it makes things easier. I've been playing 36 years, and I still tie my arms in knots trying to play things that I haven't tried before!

Archived