Legal help mistaken identity.

My partner has been accused of being involved in a car accident in a part of the country she has never even been to.

She is being harrased by her insurance company and has temporily lost her no claims bonus. Now she has been told she has to prove she was not in that part of the country at the time of the accident.

Is this correct? Has anyone any advice on what to do with this as it's as you can imagine causing her a lot of stress.

Barleycorn, no legal protection. The insurer says they are dealing with it at the moment as a case of mistaken identity but we are just trying to pre-empt anything in the future.

Truman her car was not involved in the accident she had her car with her all day in Rotherham/Sheffield and the accident happened in Leicester. The lady who had the accident gave her insurer my partners reg plate but said the model of car was a vectra when it's an Astra.

Don't know if the lady just got the reg wrong, if she is trying to pull a fast one or if someone is driving around with my girlfriends number plates on, either way it's frightening.

Barleycorn, no legal protection. The insurer says they are dealing with it at the moment as a case of mistaken identity but we are just trying to pre-empt anything in the future.

Truman her car was not involved in the accident she had her car with her all day in Rotherham/Sheffield and the accident happened in Leicester. The lady who had the accident gave her insurer my partners reg plate but said the model of car was a vectra when it's an Astra.

Don't know if the lady just got the reg wrong, if she is trying to pull a fast one or if someone is driving around with my girlfriends number plates on, either way it's frightening.

Sounds like the other person has misread the number plate..maybe the vectra and astra were from the same dealership originally..that may explain the similarities in reg. no.I assume it was a hit and run?

I thought that as well, maybe same dealership as both Vauxhall so could well be.

The details of the accident are not clear at the moment so not sure if it was a hit and run or just the wrong details taken/given.

I thought that as well, maybe same dealership as both Vauxhall so could well be.

The details of the accident are not clear at the moment so not sure if it was a hit and run or just the wrong details taken/given.

If it wasn't a hit and run then it's a bit more sinister isn't it? It'd mean not only did the other car have your gf's number plate but they also used her name when swapping details..

A friend of mine recently had a similar thing, being accused of an accident in London, when she was in fact in Shefield. She phoned them to explain it wasn't her, and she had witnesses etc to her being in Sheff. A few weeks later ins co wrote asking her to fill out a form detailing the accident. She wrote to them to impress upon them in very strong terms that she was not involved in any way shape or form.

Ins co has now accepted she wasn't involved, and reinstated her no claims.

Archived