Look out. New welfare Target

"You says things like this a lot Anna..can I ask where your evidence is..genuinely.. "

As a new member I can't post links apparently, but if you check a few old editions of the Guardian you'll find much information highlighting a dramatic increase in the number of part-time workers in the UK - I don't know figures for 2013 but in 2010 it had reached a record high of 7.82 mill (Guardian 14th July 2010). This data was taken from the Office for National Statistics.

Part-time and temporary employment is a Western European and American trend - google it and search numerous articles/newspaper reports. The New York Times, for example, addresses the issue at length.

On a personal note - I visit the job centre regularly. Most job vacancies are for part-time work and even worse are commission only. They are usually advertised as "high impact marketing companies representing a global brand seeking bold, cash-driven individuals" but if you read the small print or ask an advisor for more info you'll find the jobs are door-to-door sales commission only. Additionally, the increase in "minimum wage" jobs have increased fourfold - employers who at one time would have paid a reasonable wage for a particular set of skills/experience are cashing in on the economic downturn. But who can blame them - they are in the business of making money.

I have seen a lot of glib posts on here about employment - "everyone I know has full-time work"; "just get a job, any job"; "It's easier to find work if you're already in work". All these statements seem to me the opinions of a few smug individuals who are not fully plugged into the real world and its current dynamics. I know people who have applied for hundreds of jobs and have had no success - remember the story a few weeks ago in the news where 1000 people applied for 4 positions at Costa Coffee? Hardly a great career path - but this highlights current labour market trends. "get any job, it's easier to get a job if you're already in work" - that used to be the case, but not anymore - the competition is so high recruiters wade through thousands of CVs and glance at current occupation to see if it matches - if you currently work as a part-time toilet cleaner and are applying for a job as a sales manager (a role you are more accustomed to) the chances are you will be overlooked.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from a new member.

So someone working 16 hours a week will be asked to consider working more hours? Is that really such a terrible idea?

A young woman I know was employed for 16 hours a week and was desperate to increase her hours because she was finding it difficult to pay her rent. She was single and had no children. Her employer refused to increase her hours and because her shifts were variable, it was virtually impossible to get a second job to fit in. Her employer preferred to employ lots of part-time staff rather than take on less full-time.

"You says things like this a lot Anna..can I ask where your evidence is..genuinely.. "

As a new member I can't post links apparently, but if you check a few old editions of the Guardian you'll find much information highlighting a dramatic increase in the number of part-time workers in the UK - I don't know figures for 2013 but in 2010 it had reached a record high of 7.82 mill (Guardian 14th July 2010). This data was taken from the Office for National Statistics.

Part-time and temporary employment is a Western European and American trend - google it and search numerous articles/newspaper reports. The New York Times, for example, addresses the issue at length.

On a personal note - I visit the job centre regularly. Most job vacancies are for part-time work and even worse are commission only. They are usually advertised as "high impact marketing companies representing a global brand seeking bold, cash-driven individuals" but if you read the small print or ask an advisor for more info you'll find the jobs are door-to-door sales commission only. Additionally, the increase in "minimum wage" jobs have increased fourfold - employers who at one time would have paid a reasonable wage for a particular set of skills/experience are cashing in on the economic downturn. But who can blame them - they are in the business of making money.

I have seen a lot of glib posts on here about employment - "everyone I know has full-time work"; "just get a job, any job"; "It's easier to find work if you're already in work". All these statements seem to me the opinions of a few smug individuals who are not fully plugged into the real world and its current dynamics. I know people who have applied for hundreds of jobs and have had no success - remember the story a few weeks ago in the news where 1000 people applied for 4 positions at Costa Coffee? Hardly a great career path - but this highlights current labour market trends. "get any job, it's easier to get a job if you're already in work" - that used to be the case, but not anymore - the competition is so high recruiters wade through thousands of CVs and glance at current occupation to see if it matches - if you currently work as a part-time toilet cleaner and are applying for a job as a sales manager (a role you are more accustomed to) the chances are you will be overlooked.

A good post. Welcome to the forum. I hope we'll hear from you again.

A young woman I know was employed for 16 hours a week and was desperate to increase her hours because she was finding it difficult to pay her rent. She was single and had no children. Her employer refused to increase her hours and because her shifts were variable, it was virtually impossible to get a second job to fit in. Her employer preferred to employ lots of part-time staff rather than take on less full-time.

And.....

They will only be told to look for another job or try to increase their hours. Again I don't see the problem. If they can't find one they will continue to get the benefits, its just if they don't try that they will be sanctioned.

You're just not working hard enough if all you can get is part time or limited hours, and any help you might get is in danger. THis is taken from today's Sun newspaper....

'Low-earning workers could lose benefits if they refuse to do more hours or a second job.

Up to one million people could be affected by the plans as the coalition attempts to crackdown on workshy Brits.

Job centre staff could label some claimants as "working, could do more" and have some of their payments withdrawn.

A government spokesman said: "People will be better off in work."

You just couldn't make it up. Lots of folk work part time for many reasons. Mine is disablement. Others have child care issues, there are loads of genuine reasons.

The Sun should stop bashing the vulnerable, and the Job Centre staff should hope that full employment NEVER returns. They themselves would have to find a job. The coalition are the worst government in living memory.

They have to win another election first.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 15:48 ----------

A few intelligent observations. Welcome my friend, your views are 'spot on'

This forum has too many who love to pick on people less fortunate than themselves

And.....

They will only be told to look for another job or try to increase their hours. Again I don't see the problem. If they can't find one they will continue to get the benefits, its just if they don't try that they will be sanctioned.

It's the attitude that's wrong.

Why are we not hounding the government daily and aggressively to do something about the lack of jobs, people having to go to food banks, about the state of the economy, about tax dodgers, about the fraudulent bankers, the expenses scandal, the EU accounts, the.....

It's the attitude that's wrong.

Why are we not hounding the government daily and aggressively to do something about the lack of jobs, people having to go to food banks, about the state of the economy, about tax dodgers, about the fraudulent bankers, the expenses scandal, the EU accounts, the.....

Hound them, but what's that got to do with people who are working part time having to look for work that has more hours/better pay.

Hound them, but what's that got to do with people who are working part time having to look for work that has more hours/better pay.

Because the traffic is all one way.

The government have a responsibility to govern well, and frankly they're crap at it, all parties equally rubbish.

Yet the little people get nagged and blamed and bullied constantly. Let's save money by having less MPs. And those that are left should do the job for minimum wage - that's all they're worth.

Almost everyone I know is in reliable full-time employment.

I cannot believe any adult would post such a claim,without a little qualification.Unless you only know people aged 18-60?

What's the 18-60 bit?Retirement age for men is 65 and rising.

And.....

Just out of interest, do you think one person should have 2 part time jobs leaving someone else unemployed, or should they have one part time job each?

Archived