Please could someone advise me regarding investing money?

If you have any existing debts, mortgage , overdraft , credit cards or loans then my advice is to pay these off (assuming you can do so with no penalty).

This will save you far more money than you would get by investing in any safe vehicle such as national savings , isas etc.

Only once all your debts are cleared should you consider investing the money.

The simplest and safest way to do that would be to do some research into the best buy cash isas and use your full allowance up. Do this over a period of however many years it takes to fully invest. Park the rest of the cash in the highest paying interest account you can find.

Money saving expert .com is a good place to get advice.

Don't invest in the stock market unless you know what you are doing .

If you have over £ 75 k , make sure its spread across several separate institutions so you are covered just in case something bad happens.

Buy land.

Never in the history of mankind has it lost value. It's the most stable, risk-free, investment you can ever make. Only a communist revolution or plague that wipes out 80% of the population would negatively affect it.

Land has a variable value-how valuable is land which has been polluted?All land is illiquid and cannot be traded easily.I feel this poor advice.

If you have any existing debts, mortgage , overdraft , credit cards or loans then my advice is to pay these off (assuming you can do so with no penalty).

This will save you far more money than you would get by investing in any safe vehicle such as national savings , isas etc.

Only once all your debts are cleared should you consider investing the money.

The simplest and safest way to do that would be to do some research into the best buy cash isas and use your full allowance up. Do this over a period of however many years it takes to fully invest. Park the rest of the cash in the highest paying interest account you can find.

Money saving expert .com is a good place to get advice.

Don't invest in the stock market unless you know what you are doing .

If you have over £ 75 k , make sure its spread across several separate institutions so you are covered just in case something bad happens.

Excellent advice.

This really depends on the interstate rates on the debt and how easily they can be serviced. Many people with existing mortgages have very low interest rates, linked to BoE base rate which may even drop in the next year. (The bank has floated the idea of setting negative base rates).

If you can easily service your long term debt, a smart investment may earn you more than the interest on them. Indeed even a cash isa may pay more than a mortgage costs currently.

Although it is not without its risks, and the stock market is currently high, over a long term (10+ yrs) investment, the stock market is a reasonably smart move.

Personally if I had a lump sum, I'd stick some in a cash isa and then invest in some managed funds and index linked bonds. As I've always been told, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Spread the risks and the money around.

Oh and don't what ever you do leave it all as cash. It will lose significantly in real terms over the next few years as inflation bites (the BoE remit was altered slightly last month, relaxing inflation targeting).

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Good advice to a large degree but not necessarily true in all cases. Many older tracker mortgages now have interest rates of just 2% so, if you invest money in an ISA paying more than 2%, you will make a profit by not paying off your mortgage. A word of caution: All investments are not tax free (ISA's are) so you need to take tax into account when making your calculations.

I think that Independent Financial Advisers now charge per hour which could be £100-200/hr. Avoid banks and insurance companies.

When making investments it depends on your age, how long you want to invest and the amount of risk to take. Over time, good investment trusts or unit trusts usually do well and can be bought commission-free. Study sites such as Trustnet and Citywire. Keep money on deposit, don't rush into anything until you're sure.

Hi all and thank you so much to all in advance to everybody who helps me with this. I am being left some money from a relation who has past over and would like to invest it.This is the first time that I have been in this position and do not have a clue were to start.I there is anyone out there who could help?????

PS Thank you

Pharmaceuticals, everyone needs drugs, use the dividend to buy more shares and leave it there for 5 years.

If you want to see why I say this, take a look at the FT's pharmaceutical indicies. You will notice they are 10X larger than any of the others. Their shares do only grow slowly but they grow and are recession proof.

Archived