Pitsmoor kids

glen

surely there are kids from from pitsmoor,All Saints school who lived around Petre st,Earldom Street.The goodwins.The wades,Anyone remember Pashleys bakery shop corner Petre and Earldom Streets.Davies shop on the corner of Petre cant remember the name of the big hill there.We used to go sledging down that hill.On the opposite corner was a butchers shop.Wheaters fruit shop corner of Earldom and Ellsmere road.We used to tie cotton from the door knobs to the gas lamps so when people walked past it would knock their hats off,we used to get chased so often and we would run for our lives,i was alwys last because i was the youngest.anyone at all remember those times.:rant:

Hi glen i used to live on sutherland road corner with maxwell st during the 70s. The area was being cleared at that time hence all the open spaces. I had some great fun messing around the derilict property's we even played in the old baths before they were demolished. Also there was a great chippy across from the bath's but i cant remember the name' and the little concrete park at the bottom of sutherland rd. Good times.

Hi Only Me.I forgot to put the dates it was from 1942 to 1949 when i was there.I do remember that little playground at the bottom of sutherland road,we used to play there all the time.There was also an ice cream place just off one of those Streets,on the left going up towards petre Street,Anyone remember that?You could just walk in and buy this homemade ice cream,I remember so well going to the baths there also.Can anyone remember the Fearnehoughs? I used to live at the top of Sutherland Road,There was a big wall opposite the church,that was our yard.Getting back to the Fearnehoughs,in Earldom street on the right was a big gate with the name Fearnehough written above advertising wedding cars.I believe that area has changed so much,has anyone got any photos of that corner as it is now? on the corner of Petre and Sutherland used to be a fish shop,just sold fish not cooked it was called Cottons Fish shop.There was a sweat shop down Petre Street towards Spital Hill called Bradshaws,what a shop,it doesnt feel like all that long ago. hope to hear from others soon.thanks only me

For a look at present day Sutherland Road click the link below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/Burngreave033.jpg

These are the few remaining houses on Sutherland Road just above where the baths would have been.

If you want to see some present day pictures of the area send me your e-mail address via a private message and I will send you the photos direct.

• 4 months later...

Archived