Is George Osbourne trying to get sacked?

Yep I too can see labour winning the next election , so that will be at least another 4 years of sticking everything on the country's credit card .

Labour lit the fire , now the Tories are not doing a very good job at extinguishing it .

Give UKIP a chance

The Tories are sticking everything on the country's credit card. The deficit is far from under control. The debt is increasing at a sustained rate of approx 120 billion quid a year.

Under Labour there was one year where the deficit rose above 100bn and that was down to the exceptional measures taken to control the banking crisis, and the dramatic fall in output caused by the crisis.

Under the Tories the deficit is over 100bn EVERY year.

The Tories are pouring petrol on the fire I would say.

The Tories are sticking everything on the country's credit card. The deficit is far from under control. The debt is increasing at a sustained rate of approx 120 billion quid a year.

Under Labour there was one year where the deficit rose above 100bn and that was down to the exceptional measures taken to control the banking crisis, and the dramatic fall in output caused by the crisis.

That is because the economy was booming when Labour got it, so more tax take I would guess. Whereas the Conservatives inherited an economy in a terrible state.

They have tried to cut public spending to get the budget under control but are criticised at every turn by Labour who would actually look to spend more. :hihi:

Cleary there will now be too many disabled parking bays for the rest, so it makes sense to use them. :D

A few days ago I pulled into a car park in front of some shops. The bin wagon was there emptying the industrial waste. It was stopped across 3 disabled bays.

Is this a problem? No it isn't, because the vehicle wasn't parked. It was waiting. Had a disabled driver turned up it could have been driven away. It is a problem if someone parks. Ie. They leave the vehicle unattended and a disabled driver turns up who then can't access the space.

It appears that the vehicle in this "story" was attended by a driver at all times and therefore wasn't technically parked any more than a taxi dropping off passengers on double yellow lines.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 11:49 ----------

You are right. The debt is still increasing. There is a difference however. Under the last government the deficit increased in almost every one of the last 8 years till it reach the record proportions of around £156 billion in 2009.

At least since Osbourne took over the juggernaut has been slowed down and the deficit has reduced each year. You can't stop a supertanker on a sixpence.

You seem to turn a blind eye to the MPs who went to jail over their expenses.

The point I was making was that George Osborne who was piggybacking the case of Philpot on welfare reforms in general, can hardly claim not to have profited himself from the taxpayer with regards to his expenses.

At least since Osbourne took over the juggernaut has been slowed down and the deficit has reduced each year. You can't stop a supertanker on a sixpence.
That's the general idea. I'm surprised at how many find such simple concepts so hard to grasp.

Of course it remains to be seen whether the steps he's taking will be effective long term. But he's certainly a much safer pair of hands in the current climate than Ed Balls would be.

That is because the economy was booming when Labour got it, so more tax take I would guess. Whereas the Conservatives inherited an economy in a terrible state.

They have tried to cut public spending to get the budget under control but are criticised at every turn by Labour who would actually look to spend more. :hihi:

Labour were looking to cut too remember. Cuts more brutal than Thatcher they promised us. But they also saw the importance of promoting growth. The Tories deliberately did not promote growth in the mistaken belief the private sector would magically step in to create it. The lack of growth caused us to lose our AAA rating. Private companies are sitting on a mountain of cash but will not invest because of the uncertainty and fear created by Osborne. His failure costs us all 120bn quid every single year and he will have added more debt in 5 years than Labour did in 13 years.

Even more disastrous than Labour - quite some achievement.

But he's certainly a much safer pair of hands in the current climate than Ed Balls would be.

How can you say that, since Ed Balls has not yet had the chance and how do you explain why the economy has got much worse over the last 3 years? How do you explain the tories have borrowed more in 3 years than Labour did in 3 terms?

You are right. The debt is still increasing. There is a difference however. Under the last government the deficit increased in almost every one of the last 8 years till it reach the record proportions of around £156 billion in 2009.

It dramatically increased in 2008-9 because of the global financial crisis.

Osborne is running a deficit at almost quadruple what we had in 2007 before the crisis hit.

Any deficit reduction Osborne has achieved is down to stealing from future generations:

1. Slashing capital expenditure causing a backlog of infrastructure work that will be pushed down the line into future years.

2. Taking gilt interest on QE money. Interest that will have to be paid back.

3. Stealing the assets of the Royal Mail pension scheme, meaning that all Royal Mail pensions now have to be funded forever by the tax payer.

4. Keeping spending off the balance sheet by signing off hundreds of new PFI deals.

He's not a safe pair of hands. He's a disaster for this country. At least on a par with Brown, maybe even worse.

The point I was making was that George Osborne who was piggybacking the case of Philpot on welfare reforms in general, can hardly claim not to have profited himself from the taxpayer with regards to his expenses.

Oddly enough the system of what had been allowable on MPs expenses was set up under the tenure of Michael Martin a decade ago. I know that some folks like to get outraged about these things but a couple of years back every single MP had his/her expenses claims fully scrutinized. The only one found to be making fraudulent claims were prosecuted and sent to jail. Well. All but one as she claimed ill health and was spared a prison sentence.

Perhaps you will save me the trouble and list the names of the jailbirds.

In 2010 of course the system of expenses was fully overhauled, and what was allowable altered. It might be hard to swallow but it is difficult to single out any individual who was operating fully within the rules they were given when they took up the job. It is a different matter for those who broke the rules.

So when George Osbourne says the welfare system is in need of an overhaul (on the back of Phillpott) he is merely pointing out what was said about MPs expenses, which were subsequently overhauled.

Archived