Driving Licence query.

I renewed my driving licence when I was 70. There are 2 dates on it. 4a. 28-08-12 and 4b. 14-01-13. Does anyone know what the date at 4b signifies as the date of expiry shown on the attached D740W is 13-11-15. I rang up DVLA which was not easy. I pressed many buttons and apparently, I need to fill in the form 1D they are sending me and I must return it with a new photograph. If anyone could enlighten me a little I would appreciate it.

I renewed my driving licence when I was 70. There are 2 dates on it. 4a. 28-08-12 and 4b. 14-01-13. Does anyone know what the date at 4b signifies as the date of expiry shown on the attached D740W is 13-11-15. I rang up DVLA which was not easy. I pressed many buttons and apparently, I need to fill in the form 1D they are sending me and I must return it with a new photograph. If anyone could enlighten me a little I would appreciate it.

"Date of licence issue, photo expiry, issuing authority (4)

The date shown in 4a is the date the photocard was issued; 4b shows the date the photocard must be renewed. The authority that issued the licence is shown in 4c "

From here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF45.ashx

You'll have to fill the form in and send a photo as the DVLA said..I think all photos on the new licences have to be renewed every 10 years..

googled "driving licence explained" and got this:

The date shown in 4a is the date the photocard was issued. 4b shows the date the photocard must be renewed.

My goodness truman and TC you are quick, yoiur answers weren't there when I read the q!!!!

when your photocard expires you still have a licence to drive but it is not a full valid licence. if you look on the back of your licence you will have the dates you passed your driving test and the expiry date of the licence. as long as the licence expiry date has not passed then the dvla will renew the photocard.

when your photocard expires you still have a licence to drive but it is not a full valid licence. if you look on the back of your licence you will have the dates you passed your driving test and the expiry date of the licence. as long as the licence expiry date has not passed then the dvla will renew the photocard.

Thank,s for that angry dad.

I mentioned the significance of the date at 4b to my wife, eldest son and daughter in law and they were all blissfully unaware of the need to provide a new photo after 10 years. I'm surprised DVLA don't send out a reminder to jog people's awareness.

All the sections of the d/l are explained in the booklet that comes with a new or renewed d/l but it is seldom read, of course.

The DVLA send a reminder of imminent photocard expiry to the address on the licence - if you've moved AND your photocard expires you have a problem.

Archived