Where was this lane?

Button Lane used to run from Thomas Street through to the bottom of Cambridge Street at Moor Head off which also came Carver Street and South Street (The Moor).

It was demolished around 1963 to make way for Charter Row, a rump being left (but since erased) close to Stokes Tiles on Moore Street.

• 3 months later...
One of my favourit pubs was at the top of Button Lane, the 'Angel'.

we used to drink in the angel after going to see whoever was on at the hippodrome

it was in the 1950s,"the real good old days"

remember as one door shuts another one closes.

hi all you old er forumers, i'm 61 but can't remembe, i have lived in sheffeld as my nan would say who lived in rotherham who everyone called it sheffeld as i did myself being born in rotherham, i have read vmany books on sheffield about it@s growth from it@s beginings as a smll village to what it istoday but i have asked many people from time to time over the years where a place called button lane was situated, ive tried maps from but cannot find it some said they thought it was near where the mullberry tavern at the bottom of norfolk st so all my forum friends i@ll leave it to you thanks steve

Button Lane started just at the back of where Debenhams is now and ran to Fitzwilliam St.

There was also a Somali-run cafe on Button Lane in the late 1950 's [ I think the same family had a similar one on Matilda Street at about that time too ]. We used to call in one or the other quite regularly, especially on the way home from the fair on Granville Road. Not many places open after 10.30 p.m. in Sheffield in those days !

Archived