The Awful and Patronising 'LMGTFY'

Why do people on this forum feel the need to go to the trouble of using that 'Let me Google that for you' link?

Someone has come on here, asked a simple question. They were asking for the phone number of a pizza place.

Sarcasm then seems to take over with some people. If it offends you so much that someone has asked, what you perceive to be, a simple question, why even go to the trouble of replying in the thread?

Is it to feel superior?

And to be completely fair to the person who asked that question, I think it is actually a little difficult to find a number for that particular pizza place. I've just Googled it and clicked on a lot of the links and there isn't a number for them.

So surely it's fair enough for someone to come on here and ask? Who knows, maybe someone on here uses them regularly and has the number to hand.

Sorry for rambling, but the undercurrent of nastiness and sarcasm on here gets a bit much sometimes.

They may feel they are being superior, wheras you and I, and the majority of decent posters know they are just sad little keyboard warriors, with no friends and probably have acne as well.

They too, make me sick. That is why I enjoy winding them up, the know-all idiots.

I see it as being helpful, not sarcastic.

I see it as being helpful and sarcastic.

But in response to somebody using a discussion forum to ask for something that could be found far quicker using Google, then maybe the sarcasm is justified.

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 15:13 ----------

I see the link at the end of this one as more sarcastic than helpful.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1150379

I agree, this could have been helpful and sarcastic.

I see it as being helpful and sarcastic.

But in response to somebody using a discussion forum to ask for something that could be found far quicker using Google, then maybe the sarcasm is justified.

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 15:13 ----------

I agree, this could have been helpful and sarcastic.

But that's sort of missing my point. That isn't helpful. Because still I couldn't find a phone number for the place from anything that Google brought up there.

My point is, people know how to use Google. So even a post like that, showing somebody how to type words into Google comes across as really sarcastic.

What I'm trying to say I suppose, is if you can't answer someone's question directly, for example - with the required phone number, why bother posting at all?

To be fair, finding phone numbers for certain eateries seems to be getting more difficult.

A large number have signed up to various web-based companies such as Just Eat which encourage you to place your order on line (and pay a 'fee') at the same time not providing any direct numbers, for obvious reasons.

I struggled to find Kebab World the other evening, resorting to digging out an old menu.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

But that's sort of missing my point. That isn't helpful. Because still I couldn't find a phone number for the place from anything that Google brought up there.

My point is, people know how to use Google. So even a post like that, showing somebody how to type words into Google comes across as really sarcastic.

What I'm trying to say I suppose, is if you can't answer someone's question directly, for example - with the required phone number, why bother posting at all?

If you use the link I provided the phone number appears in the results without even having to click on any of the links, but the 1st result for the business website itself would do.

Yes it is sarcastic, but only in equal measure to the annoyance of seeing such lazy questions being asked on the forum surely?

Asking what's the place like is more suitable for a discussion forum rather than something that the mods are going to close after one/two posts.

:huh:

If you use the link I provided the phone number appears in the results without even having to click on any of the links, but the 1st result for the business website itself would do.

Yes it is sarcastic, but only in equal measure to the annoyance of seeing such lazy questions being asked on the forum surely?

Asking what's the place like is more suitable for a discussion forum rather than something that the mods are going to close after one/two posts.

:huh:

I'm sorry, and I'm honestly not being awkward, but from the link you provided, I can not see a number for them, or their business website.

Archived