The Awful and Patronising 'LMGTFY'

The point you and many others are missing is the fact that the poster may be attempting to take part in a friendly, family forum rather than just wanting an answer to their question.

Wholeheartedly agree.

If everyone just turned to google for their information this forum would be a deadly dull place. Sometimes people want information from fellow Sheffield forummers rather than the Search Engine Optimized Google. It's not laziness, it's just asking fellow people, the SF community, for information.

I asked a question in the gardening section. I could have, and did, google the information first but still posted my query because I wanted real advice from real people.

OK asking for the opening times of Tesco is bit daft when the information is readily available elsewhere but asking if anyone has contact details/phone number of somewhere isn't, bearing in mind that real people may have better and more up to date information than some defunct webpage suggested by a search engine.

I get that people sometimes want advice, but for something like the number of a takeaway there's only a right and a wrong. All of these threads asking for things take up space that could be used for people who have a chip on their shoulder about parking charges/ want to speculate about where a mosque will be built/ want to moan about their blue bin being emptied ten minutes late!

(could someone give me the website for this google website? I can't find it)

I get that people sometimes want advice, but for something like the number of a takeaway there's only a right and a wrong. All of these threads asking for things take up space that could be used for people who have a chip on their shoulder about parking charges/ want to speculate about where a mosque will be built/ want to moan about their blue bin being emptied ten minutes late!

(could someone give me the website for this google website? I can't find it)

Here you go....... :)

(I take it all back. It's super fun ;))

Why doesn't the SF compile a list of useful numbers for peoples' use-it could even be published and placed in a yellow sleeve.

Good idea. They could go as thus;

1. My bin hasnt been emptied.

2. Im on the dole. Why should I donate 50p when I need it for fags.

3. The helecopter is over S5, Why?

4. My neighbour is a nosy so and so. Is that fair?

5. Where can I buy ferret underpants?

6. I was shouted at by a bus driver. Can I sue?

7. Anybody know how much Poundland charge for teabags?

8. Ive got a parking ticket, but dont own a car. Should I pay?

9. I have started to eat my own leg. Can I have a week on the sick?

10. Why are cyclists:gag: on the footpath? Can I spit at one?

11. Why are cyclists:gag:?

People should be allowed to ask whatever they like, if they genuinely need an answer. Just because the question may seem a bit silly, dosent mean it cant be answered politely. So there.:suspect:

Good idea. They could go as thus;

1. My bin hasnt been emptied.

2. Im on the dole. Why should I donate 50p when I need it for fags.

3. The helecopter is over S5, Why?

4. My neighbour is a nosy so and so. Is that fair?

5. Where can I buy ferret underpants?

6. I was shouted at by a bus driver. Can I sue?

7. Anybody know how much Poundland charge for teabags?

8. Ive got a parking ticket, but dont own a car. Should I pay?

9. I have started to eat my own leg. Can I have a week on the sick?

10. Why are cyclists:gag: on the footpath? Can I spit at one?

11. Why are cyclists:gag:?

People should be allowed to ask whatever they like, if they genuinely need an answer. Just because the question may seem a bit silly, dosent mean it cant be answered politely. So there.:suspect:

someone who may be able to help you answer question 5. :D

someone who may be able to help you answer question 5. :D

How you found that, I will never know:hihi::hihi::hihi:

But it does just go to show that helping someone dosent cost a thing. By the way, I dont think the underpants were his colour:hihi::hihi:

To be fair, finding phone numbers for certain eateries seems to be getting more difficult.

A large number have signed up to various web-based companies such as Just Eat which encourage you to place your order on line (and pay a 'fee') at the same time not providing any direct numbers, for obvious reasons.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Nope. As an experiment, I've just gone on Just Eat and searched for places near me. Picking 5 at random, I went to their Just Eat entry, copied the name and address and googled that. In all cases it was very easy to find their phone numbers from the google search results. Nothing difficult at all, unless you count several mouse clicks, as opposed to only a couple of clicks as "difficult".

Alternatively, put your shoes and coat on and go to the take away of your choice?

I see the link at the end of this one as more sarcastic than helpful.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1150379

That's because Bonjon hasn't quite got the idea of LMGTFY. Providing a link to a LMGTFY is showing "you" how to use the internet. He's slipped into meta-LMGTFY-ing.

Used properly, LMGTFY gives a man a fish and teaches him how to fish, as it were. What's not to like about that?

Archived